Author Topic: Fuchsia disappointment (again)  (Read 2555 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Fuchsia disappointment (again)
« on: July 16, 2010, 22:16:46 »
Can anyone recommend a Fuchsia which remains lavender/blue rather than fades to pink with age?  I've tried Carmel Blue and Delta's Sarah and both have disappointed.  :(

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
Re: Fuchsia disappointment (again)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 04:58:48 »
I would have tried the Ice cool or star wars types. They have been known to keep a better colour for much longer.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 21:53:25 »
Sorry Georgie but all fucsia flowers fade.

I have a variety Deep Purple, which when it first opens lives up to its name, but the older flowers are very pale mauve.

When they've gone a lighter shade than you want, pick them off.  Pour encourager les autres, ie make it produce more blue flowers ;D

valmaeg

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 22:35:05 »
Hi Valmarg

I think it's more noticable on the blue/purple varieties and it can really ruin a colour scheme.   :( 

Yes, I know you can pick off the faded flowers (and I do, believe me) but I'd much rather have long lasting blooms of the colour I've chosen.  Ho hum.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 13:44:42 »
Now you mention it, I see what you mean.  With the pinks and reds it's not so noticeable, but with the blues, they really do change/fade dramatically.

I have several blue (corolla) varieties, but can't recommend any of them for not fading.

valmarg

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 21:07:35 »
A (shy?) member PM'd me recommending Blueberry Fizz and Minnesota.  Neither of these are in my Fuchsia book so I must Google when I get a minute.

G x

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 14:30:39 »
I did have Blueberry Fizz sometime ago, but lost it.  If memory serves the corolla is blue with white blotches.  I was sorry when I lost it, but I think it is readily available.

Two of the books I have say that Minnesota is similar to Rose of Castille, if that helps.

valmarg

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 12:18:47 »
Blueberry fizz is available from T&M as I have one left of five that came.
Seems that the heat has done me in as far as fuchsia's go this year. I will have to erect some green cover for them next year so that the fierce sunlight does not get at them.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 21:47:06 »
Since Georgie's original post, I have been looking at the 'blue' fuchsias I have.

Two that spring to mind for not fading are Fey and Delta's Rien.

Fey is probably more towards a mauve, but is a very pretty double flowered fuchsia.

Delta's Rien is a beautiful very  large  single blousy trailer, which does seem to keep its colour.  Probably a tad more towards a mauve.

valmarg

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 21:47:29 »
Since Georgie's original post, I have been looking at the 'blue' fuchsias I have.

Two that spring to mind for not fading are Fey and Delta's Rien.

Fey is probably more towards a mauve, but is a very pretty double flowered fuchsia.

Delta's Rien is a beautiful very  large  single blousy trailer, which does seem to keep its colour.  Probably a tad more towards a mauve.

valmarg

Many thanks I've made a note.   :)

G x

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 22:23:34 »
Georgie, I can always send you rooted cuttings of both.  I have loads of plants of Fey, but I'm down to two rooted cuttings of Deltas Rien.  I shall need to multiply my stocks a bit. ;D

valmarg

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 20:45:24 »
Georgie, I can always send you rooted cuttings of both.  I have loads of plants of Fey, but I'm down to two rooted cuttings of Deltas Rien.  I shall need to multiply my stocks a bit. ;D

valmarg

Hi ValMarg

I'm very tempted to say yes please but you have been so generous in the past I feel really guilty.  (The rooted cutting of the F. Magellenica alba you sent me has made a lovely leafy plant - no buds yet but not surprised as I keep pinching it out!)

Perhaps you could just sent me one and give me a little hint about what I could send in return?   ;D

G x

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 22:22:24 »
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention  these when we spoke earlier today.

I have to root some cuttings, so it may take a while.

I shall send them to you, possibly early in the new year.

valmarg

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 22:33:37 »
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention  these when we spoke earlier today.

I have to root some cuttings, so it may take a while.

I shall send them to you, possibly early in the new year.

valmarg

It was nice to chat eh?   :)

I've potted up all 'the orphans' and thank you so much, I shall look forward to the next lot of cuttings.  At least I know I can send you some of my seeds so it feels like a fairer deal.   ;D

BTW I've since had a PM regarding 'the orphans' so I've had to explain that we agreed I could keep them and it's too late now as they are all potted up.   ::)

G x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal