Author Topic: Site Hut - Shipping Containers  (Read 8215 times)

Isleworth

• Half Acre
    • http://plot31a.blogspot.com/
Site Hut - Shipping Containers
« on: May 12, 2010, 10:55:54 »
Hi,

Do any of you have a Shipping container on your site that has been purchased for use as a Site Hut?

We have just secured our first grant and a large sum of the money is to pay for a site hut to hold meeting in and for those members without sheds etc.. to store their tools in.

The plan is to buy a large shipping container and I am now re-serching suppliers and getting it prices etc..

First quote has been £1100.00 + Vat for a 20x8ft Anti Vandal Ex Site Office including delivery to our site (Pictures above)

Would be greatful to hear from anyone who has already purchased a container for the same use and any advice would be much apprichiated.

Many thanks,

Isleworth

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Site Hut - Shipping Containers
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 13:28:39 »
No experience of a shipping container as a site hut - although we do have a smaller one in use as a machine shed - but I'm looking at replies with interest, as I think that may our next project now we've got funding for a loo.

Does it come fully fitted? If so, that sounds fairly reasonable.

How did you get funding for a site hut, by the way. When we enquired, it only seemed possible if we were primarily intending to use it for outreach work - eg as a classroom for school visits - rather than just for the benefit of members.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 14:14:09 »
Do you know if you need planning permission for it? Do they count as a permanant structure?  Just curious, sorry, nothing practical to add to the discussion.

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 14:42:39 »
Looks brilliant!

Good luck with it - To me it sounds quite cheap in comparison the wooden sheds etc!

No useful information from me either!

Old Bird

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 22:12:28 »
Are you not members of NSALG?
the latest edition of their 'free to members' magazine has an advert from
www.containercabins.co.uk
 tel 0800 9070084

good luck!! regards, Tony ;)
You couldn't make it up!

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 20:32:43 »
OH's boss got one for extra storage, no planning permission needed or footings either.

£1100 seems cheap if it's fully fitted  :)
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

Auntie J

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 06:39:29 »
Apparently there is a company in Southall that sells off this type of thing, also in the last Allotment magazine from the NSALG there was an advert.

We have a small one on our site belonging to a member, very good gets hot inside in the summer but he has no mice chewing through the floor, and no break ins.

Who did you apply to for a grant, I am the secretary of our site and we could do with one of these for the same reasons as you but I don't really know were to start regarding grants etc.
Joanna

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 07:40:32 »
Isleworth I would be very interested to kinow where you can get a container like the one in you pic. Our site is looking for just that.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 22:08:44 »
We have one of these on site.We were given the container 4ft x 8ft by builders who had taken part of the site for building new homes.
 We are council run.

It cost £15,000 approx to remove what was in it (there was a kitchen and toilet but in wrong place and not suitable for disabled) and refit with mini kitchen open plan and separate flush toilet, it required a new floor and wiring.

The reason we had some money was the builders had given the council £50,000 for the allotments as well as paying for purchasing the land. The council had already spent £15,000 by the time we found out and said what we wanted the money spent on.

We required planning permission, the council organised this.We do not know the name of the company who refitted this as council organised this

Squashman

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 19:53:18 »
I recently bought a 20' x 8' open plan office container for 650.00 delivered and installed for a new allottment site. I am now purchasing a 12' x 9' ex canteen container for my own plot. They are almost bomb proof and cheap compared to a timber shed.
I am setting up another new site and will without a doubt install a 20 x 8 open plan office container for the plot holders use.

AceOfSpades

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 10:40:30 »
Hi - I may be late on this - But we were going to do the same (Shipping container) there are LOADS on ebay.  But we couldnt get transport to get it too site.  We wanted ours as a shared tool store (lots of night time thefts)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/40ft-Shipping-Container-London-Essex-South-/150481389368?pt=UK_BOI_Containers_Pre_Fab_Buildings_ET

So in the end we went to www.asgardsss.co.uk and bought 3 secure metal sheds for less than a single container and transport.  Probably no good for your meetings, but an excellent way of save guarding our tools! :D  We have not had a single theft since!!  One attempted to get in, but they never got in!!!  and the nosie alerted a neighbour and we caught him!!!

mike b

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 20:20:37 »
Hi all we have 2 shiping containers on our site and yes you need planning permision they are ok for keeping tools in but as for a meeting place forget it as they dont have windows you will be better off with a portacabin all the bestluck to you all

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 22:21:19 »
We have windows in ours and hold our committee meetings in it. Depends on how they are adapted.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal