Author Topic: Toms and blight  (Read 816 times)

betula

• Hectare
Toms and blight
« on: September 22, 2010, 22:51:28 »
Can not understand why my toms grown in the ground caught Blight and my pot grown ones just growing a few yards away have been fine ???

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Toms and blight
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 23:58:47 »
My six plants were showing signs of blight today so I cut them down - there were only about a dozen green tomatoes left so it was no big deal. Just enough to make some chutney if they don't ripen within the next few days. It was great this year to get a good harvest before the blight got to the plants.

Tricia

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 23:59:51 »
Are you sure it's blight?... My toms are dying off now, in varietal order, of senescence and/or it's just got a bit too cold at nights......and like you the ground ones are going before the pot ones......

chrisc

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 01:03:12 »
This was a few weeks back now and yes most definitely blight  :(

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 07:17:20 »
When I walked around the site yesterday I noticed that there was a lot of blight in one particular area but none in others.  Luckily, mine is one of the 'others'. 

Having lost all my plants to blight for the past few years I almost didn't grow any this year.......but my Seed Sowing Addiction took over and I'm glad it did.  :)

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

kypfer

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 07:32:25 »
Can not understand why my toms grown in the ground caught Blight and my pot grown ones just growing a few yards away have been fine

I had similar circumstances, four plum tomatoes nicely sheltered against the bank/hedge wiped out a couple of weeks ago ... my neighbour's plants in growbags on the patio 50ft away perfectly fine ... different varieties admittedly, but I put it down to better air circulation on the patio not allowing the plants to get damp at night, so the blight spores blowing past don't stick ... but that could be just a bit of fanciful thinking on my part   ???

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 07:38:21 »
I rarely grow outdoor tomatoes because of this but had some good strong San Marzano plants that were doing really well then last week just curled up and died with the blight...  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal