Author Topic: Robins  (Read 2498 times)

Toadspawn

• Acre
Robins
« on: December 02, 2010, 12:55:30 »
Robins are said to be very territorial even in the winter and supposedly one Robin will keep all the others away from the food.
Can anyone explain why I often have 2-3 feeding side by side on a daily basis particularly during the winter? Today there have been 6 feeding within a few yards of each other and yesterday there were 9. They may show a bit of aggression towards each other at times but it does not seem to stop them feeding together. Perhaps it is hunger overcoming aggression!   

pumkinlover

Re: Robins
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 14:04:11 »
I am no expert but I think you have it right.  There is something called heirachy of needs in human psychology and basically as one need is met you then move to a higher level. So at the moment the main need is to get food, rather than protect a territory. 
However the collared doves in our garden mob the wood pigeons if they  come any where need the food i put out so maybe I am talking rubbish. :-\1

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 14:39:47 »
Robins are fiercely territorial but when it's really cold they don't want to expend energy fighting.  All birds, and especially smaller ones, suffer in this weather so their priority is food, water and shelter.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/8164576/Fewer-robins-will-be-keeping-gardeners-company-this-winter.html
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 16:52:50 »
Can anyone tell me what makes the best Home or Shelter for Robins.

There are so many at our allotments and they realy bring something special to th eplot whyen I am quielty digging away by myself.

Are fat balls a good choice of food for them.

Thanks

DT

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 17:52:50 »
Dandytown robins will nest just about anywhere but they will also use open nest boxes like this
http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/p/Nestboxes/Robin_and_wren_diamond_nest%20box.htm

In very cold weather they'll eat most bird food, and usually do so from the bird table or the ground rather than from feeders.  When it's like this I scatter a mix of seed, crushed peanuts, porridge oats, biscuit/bread/cake/cheese crumbs and small bits of a fat ball on the ground for them, and other birds.

Don't forget to provide water for them as well if you can. I use a couple of plant pot saucers which are easy to keep clean and refill daily.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 19:02:20 »
From what I have read, small birds can find their own shelter and will survive the weather if they can find enough food.  Sunflower seed hearts seem to be the best general purpose food for small birds.  Even Goldfinches seems to prefer them over niger seed and there is no waste to accumulate and fester.  Robins are very adaptable birds and will learn to take seeds from cage feeders used by Blue Tits.  The problem with putting food out on allotments is that it is taken by vermin (pigeons. squirrels) so you have to address that if you are trying to feed small birds.  But also you could come up with something without too much cost.  I use hanging baskets as cages to protect bird tables and food on the ground from large greedy vermin.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 19:10:28 »
Toadspawn, you will very often see two robins in the garden because the male and female are identical.  We occasionally see a third, which could be a late offspring, or as has been suggested, to fight it just ain't worth the effort. ;D

valmarg
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 19:13:22 by valmarg »

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 10:04:14 »
I did put my sunflower heads on the grround some time ago and wish I had saved them for when now when they are probably most needed.  Will get out today and spread my oats over the allotment.

Has anyone noticed that the forum about birds contains so much inuendo?  Please forgive me for my almost playground like humour but I read a comment yesterday from a lady saying her thrush is back.  I realy wanted to say that Cannestan would help but wasnt sure how my humour would be recieved.

I then read about how someone put there fat balls out for the birds and again started to chuckle.  Is it just me or have you all been here before and exhausted these obvious play on words.

Anyway, off to the allotment with my daughter to spread some porridge oats out for the Robins.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 10:17:46 »
I think you'll find that this 'play with words' goesn on intentionally or not, in almost every other post ;D
So feel free to 'spread your oats' but be aware you might get unwanted off spring later on...allotment full :o ;) ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 00:31:46 »
......Sunflower seed hearts seem to be the best general purpose food for small birds.  Even Goldfinches seems to prefer them over niger seed and there is no waste to accumulate and fester.  Robins are very adaptable birds and will learn to take seeds from cage feeders used by Blue Tits.

The birds in my garden certainly like sunflower seed hearts as well as fat cakes/balls.  Suet pellets are also one of their favourites and now they seem to prefer them to peanuts.  I have just bought a very large bag of peanuts from the RSPB though.   ::)

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 17:22:35 »
^^ even the birds are fussy these days.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal