Author Topic: Give away - HSL dwarf french Ice/Crystal Wax  (Read 2175 times)

earlypea

• Hectare
Give away - HSL dwarf french Ice/Crystal Wax
« on: December 11, 2010, 08:12:43 »
I've got 200 Ice/Crystal Wax dwarf French grown from this year's HSL seeds. 

Attractive, delicate foliage, bi-coloured peach and white flowers.  Filet beans which turn almost white, palest green at eating stage, streaked with mauve as they dry out.  A particularly sweet and crisp bean, no strings.  Not a small plant, as described in the HSL catalogue, for me - needed staking.

I don't want anything in return this year, but I might nudge you for a few heritage beans next year - going away to work - sadly :'(

People in Jayb's seed circle need not apply as they're in their bags already.

PM me for my address and send an SAE

20 or 10 seeds depending on the level of interest.

Cheers

poppie1

• Half Acre
Re: Give away - HSL dwarf french Ice/Crystal Wax
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 21:07:24 »
hi,
have today put a swap on the forum for some herbs to grow at the local primary school,do you think these beans would be something the children would enjoy growing?
kind regards

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 08:34:34 »
Hi Poppie

I'm thinking they're a bit sophisticated for primary children.  If they haven't grown anything before they'll be excited by any bean, not a rare one - although a yellow one might be nice or purple.

I'll tell you two things that my nephews who are that age were thrilled by this year:  mouse melons and yellow centriflor tomatoes, an incredibly resiliant, hardy tom for outdoors.

I don't have spare seeds though!

poppie1

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 12:42:25 »
many thanks for the heads up on those varieties,i'm very new to all the green fingered stuff,bit a cabbage is a cabbage sort of theory in the household at the mo,but i'm sure will get the gist of it sooner or later.

Lizann

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 12:44:46 »
Would love to try some.  Never done any HSL before or saved any seed myself yet, but intend to try it this year for the first time.  Will PM.  Many thanks in advance.
Lizann :0)

TividaleJo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 21:54:24 »
Hi earlypea

Just wanted to say a hugh thank you recieved seeds this morning and a lovely surprise of the major cook's bean as well. thank you so much for them all.

Am i treating these the same as other french beans? any tips and advice will be gratefully recieved

Jo xx
Joanne

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 07:25:41 »
Jo - you're welcome.  I want to spread them because they're one of my favourites and hopefully there will be a good supply from savers next year and beyond.

It's a tall French, I would say a slow developer, nice to eat at any stage; young or poddy - not stringy as they get bigger development.  A very 'rich' flavour.  Stripy from the outset.

Torreya

• Not So New ...
    • Ashfurlong Walled Kitchen Garden
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 16:22:49 »
hi  'Earlypea',
                  If you haven't got homes for all your dwarf, or not so dwarf  filets, please could I beg a handful?  we grew some un-named filets for the first time last year and were v. impressed! 
  If you're sure you don't want a swap this year, I'm sure I will be able to find something for you next time. If you like peas, we have home grown 'Ne Plus Ultra' (as seen on Vic. Kitchen Garden) which beat anything for taste!!
  Let me know anyway,
             :)

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 01:46:03 »
Hi Torreya

I'm afraid you've missed the boat on this offer  :(  I'm in China now and probably not back until Autumn at the earliest.

EP  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal