Author Topic: seaweed in devon  (Read 1879 times)

snoppers

• Not So New ...
seaweed in devon
« on: February 05, 2011, 12:20:39 »
hi all im off to chudliegh this week can anyone who lives down that way advise me on the best place 's to pick up some seaweed (i mean on beaches rather than going to a garden centre) much appreciated if you can.
 cheers snoppers

daitheplant

• Acre
Re: seaweed in devon
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 19:27:55 »
Just a word of warning snoppers, it is illegal to take seaweed from the beach. 8)
DaiT

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 19:38:52 »
Just a word of warning snoppers, it is illegal to take seaweed from the beach. 8)

erm, it's illegal to take seaweed growing on rocks, but any that is washed up on the beach is OK to take ;)
You couldn't make it up!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 22:30:38 »
It depends on the weather and the wind direction. After strong easterly winds we get a lot on our beaches in Torbay whereas at other times there is none to be found. I used to pop down to gather bags of the stuff, but now find it easier and more practical to go to a local farm where I can pick up large feed bags of well rotted manure for £1. Fresh seaweed smells as it rots!

Tricia

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 08:11:26 »
It depends on the weather and the wind direction. After strong easterly winds we get a lot on our beaches in Torbay whereas at other times there is none to be found. I used to pop down to gather bags of the stuff, but now find it easier and more practical to go to a local farm where I can pick up large feed bags of well rotted manure for £1. Fresh seaweed smells as it rots!

Tricia

yes Tricia, but the Op was about seaweed?
great stuff, and contains plant growth stimulants. just chuck it on asparagus beds and around brassicas ( both seaside plant)
You couldn't make it up!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 09:28:03 »
Fill your boots Snoppers as said it's only illegal if it's on the rocks, and where abouts is Chudliegh.   ???     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 17:59:03 »
Not too far from me - which is why I mentioned where and when it could be found as that was snoppers original question!

Tricia

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal