Author Topic: photoshop ?  (Read 1963 times)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
photoshop ?
« on: March 22, 2011, 20:40:42 »
My friend asked me today if I know how to "merge" photos ? She knows I like to play around with stuff but I only have picasa-basic.
She has a grandchild in Australia and two here and would like to create a pic of all three that looks like they were all together.
I doubt that she would want to spend much on software as it would be a one off.
I said I ask you guys as one of you usually knows the answer  ;)
sanity is overated

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: photoshop ?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 21:26:29 »
she/you could try GIMP (for Windows), which is free. Never used the windows version so can't say much about it. It is very good

I found starting off with with these graphics stuff (Paintshop Pro) was quite tricky - it was the only software I ever bought a book for.

the trick with your merge is to have pictures that are easy to fiddle with from the start - plain backgrounds, no shadows etc

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

help file is separate, and probably not very good. Look for an online tutorial if you give it a try

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 09:15:10 »
Thanks Bugloss, I've just downloaded although my computer is in it's final days .I'll have a go and then pass on the info .
Thanks again  :)
sanity is overated

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 14:39:12 »
there are lots of videos explaining photo blending (for instance) , and I think you'll find that it's easiest if you take photos specifically to montage rather than try it with pictures you have laying about. But you'll have to watch a few videos to see what the problems are  :)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 21:17:33 »
You can also go to http://pixlr.com/ where you can edit images free. It's almost as good as Photoshop. You can create layers as you would in PS, and create montages like I think you're looking for. It doesn't take ages to open like programs on your computer do, cos it's all online.

I always loved Photoshop which I use at work, but pixlr is a discovery by my genius OH/typist  ;D and now I like it for home-use.

Hope it's useful.  :)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 15:23:32 »
Ooh that's kind of a nice site for doing instant edits...
Bookmarked!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 15:38:40 »
Well my computer finally died last week :'(
But thanks to the men in my life I've got a shiny new one  :) :)
It came with Adobe photoshop 8 which has a blending facility so I've been practising with pictures of the grandaughters teddies.
It's not as easy as it looks but practise...
Thanks for all the help and pigeonseed I'll have a look at your link as well thanks :)
sanity is overated

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal