The Show > Pumpkin 'tastic

giant pkn time again

<< < (2/36) > >>

pete JB:
Hey Mal. I`m also doing giant maters. Just the one though. I have a 7.33 Hunt which is doing well in the greenhouse. I`ll let you know how it gets on.

Cheers

Pete

Dandytown:
Hi Pete and Mal and good luck this year.

Need some advice, I usually sow in the airing cupboard but the Mrs threw a fit so now I have to think again.  Whats the best way to germinate, chit, straight in the ground or pots etc.

I filed a seed but on the sprout end and then read that I shouldnt so lets see what happens.

I have given lots of the seed that I acquired away but have a few left if anyone is interested.  700lb ers and up.  Pm me and I'll get back as soon as I can.

slyfox-mal:
hi dandytown and good luck to you also
i usually chit my seeds in moist kitchen towel inside a ziplock bag and as soon as i see  first signs of the sprout end i pot it up and place it back into electric propergator when the cot leaves are up i then place the pots  under lights for a few days and as soon as first true leaf is up i then plant it out into its final planting place with the first true leave oppersite the direction you awant the pkn got grow as 99 times out 100 the vine will be oppersite the first true leaf hope this helps regards mal

Dandytown:
Thanks Mal,

I should have waited a day before asking as mine have sprouted.  I soaked them for 24-48 hours in water and then placed between two sheets of cotton wool which was carefully placed in a large sheet of foil and placed in the airing cupboard.
Check this morning and the AG's have sprouted ahead of the eating varieties which are also showing signs of sprouting.  

Seems that I was carefull enough with my filing of the edges.

Thanks for the advice about pointing the likely side of the stem in the correct direction.  I did print some info of off merebrow website and will have to familiarise myself with it again.

Must get off to the stables and pick up as much manure as I can.  I am going to try peat this year on one of the pumpkins

Have sown 1366 Paton 10 and a 798 Thomas 10

pete JB:
Good luck DT. Those seeds should do well for you. The Patons are the top growers in the country and David Thomas is also a top grower. He beat me into 4th place at this years comp in Southampton. Grrrr.
LOL

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version