Author Topic: Not a sweet pea, so what is it?  (Read 1606 times)

stargazer

• Not So New ...
Not a sweet pea, so what is it?
« on: May 14, 2011, 14:59:31 »
Hello

We've had another anomolous batch of plants through in the greenhouse, which this time where supposed to be sweetpeas, but obviously aren't.

We didn't get any sweet peas through this year, only these two fellas, which look to be like some sort of meadow/wild flower?

Thanks

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: Not a sweet pea, so what is it?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 15:04:00 »
looks like Fat Hen

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 22:18:55 »
Guess the mice got the sweet peas then?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 10:57:41 »
It's fat he, a weed commonly found in manure. I spent most of yesterday pulling and hoeing seedlings of the blooming stuff on my plots..... ;D You have looked after it nicely though, now chuck it before it seeds everywhere!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 12:26:15 »
Another vote for Fat Hen here.  This is not a wild flower it was originally grown for food until spinach arrived on the scene. 

Do ensure the seeds do not germinate, they can resist the heat of the compost heap and survive being digested which is why are come free with manure.  ;D  And I do believe they have 150% germination rate. ;D   ;D  The the seeds are viable for years and years.    I think they must be light sensitive so do not germinate until brought to the surface.

If you would like another one I think I have about 2 millions to spare. ;D   Dug in early enough they are good as green manure or mulching.   Left too long they are the very devil to pull up. 

Actually edible but not very tasty as far as I am concerned.   But passable lightly steamed with lots of butter and pepper.

I managed to plant one out in a row of brassicas but so far managed not to pot one up in a flower pot and nurture it in the greenhouse.  I am sorry but the flowers do not get any more spectacular than you have already.  Preume they came in with the compost.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 12:35:50 »
And don't think of drowing it the seeds can survive in water as well.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 12:36:02 »
Yep... Fat Hen, related to other chenopodiums like Good King Henry... includes a "natural" steroid... hence "Fat Hen" don't eat it if you are going to compete in the Olympics...  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal