Author Topic: Moroccan Pudding ideas?  (Read 12322 times)

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
Moroccan Pudding ideas?
« on: May 11, 2011, 15:13:46 »
Hi all,

I am stuck for an authentic pudding for Saturday night, I am cooking for main course Chicken Tagine with Honey, apricots and Almonds serviced with roasted veg cous cous and chickpeas..

So any ideas will be welcome :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Moroccan Pudding ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 15:30:36 »
any room at the table? Sound sdelicious!

I'd think along the lines of figs, dates, almonds etc. Also maybe Baklava - quite simple with filo pastry, lots of honey and nuts etc. Claudia Roden does lots of N African/Middle eastern cookery, if that helps. I don't have a specific suggestion that is tried and tested tho

Gadget

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 16:10:51 »
I will have a look up of Claudia Roden, thank you for that :) and let you know what I come up with unless someone comes back to me first... ;D

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 01:31:20 »
Having been to Morocco I can honestly say that they do not have a lot of things as a sweet. Unlike us they find a meal to be savory. Just the one dish to share.

They start off with fresh bread, dips and olives, nibbles left out to fill you whilst you wait so starters are fairly easy. Baguettes and dips with olives.

When we were there the sweet dishes were always from the bakery and were very French. France used to 'Own' the country and as a result French cooking has a very strong influence.

The people do have a sweet tooth, as indeed we all do but there is nothing typically Moroccan as a pudding since they simply  don't do puddings.

Of course you could always blag a pudding with some sort of fig, almond or date dish with honey or some such.

Call it Marakesh desert

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/baklava/Detail.aspx

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 07:43:37 »
Hi, I have several Moroccan desserts in my Middle East collection. Many of the geographical area share the same recipes under different name.

Can you give me some idea of what you are looking for and does it have to be exactly Moroccan

I have many recipes for Baklava which I make regularly, it is easy to make , vrey nice  and keeps for quite along time so you can make it well in advance.It comes from all regions,

Gioush is Moroccan,sesame honey fritters.

Ghoriba mughrabi is Moroccan, Semolins pastry balls
Several versions of bread pudding from  the Middle East generally

If any of the above catch your fancy let me know and I will post the recipe.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 09:13:38 »
Ah good old eurovision. Everyone starts buying lederhosen & looking for weird recipes  ;D

Had a quick look through the north african section of my Mediterranean cookbook & can add the following into the mix;

Sweet couscouc - lots of nuts, apricots & dates
Om ali - nut & filo pudding (looks similar to baklava but possibly without the tooth rotting syrupyness)
Almond filo snake
fried honey cakes
date candies.

Can post quantities etc later if anything takes your fancy.

Gadget

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 09:54:42 »
I have many recipes for Baklava which I make regularly, it is easy to make , vrey nice  and keeps for quite along time so you can make it well in advance.It comes from all regions,
If any of the above catch your fancy let me know and I will post the recipe.

XX Jeannine

Hi Jeannine,

I love Baklava, is it very time consuming? and I would love a recipe for that, sadly I am sure that they wouldn't last that long with the gannits that are coming round  ;D

and Mrs G,

have you the recipe for date candies please.

Thank you everyone this is great.
 :-*

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 14:31:35 »
Traditionally Morrocans finish a meal with fruits but have sweet pastries on hand if needed.  There are some recipes here:- http://www.food.com/recipes/moroccan-desserts
Obxx - Vendée France

Gadget

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 14:42:06 »
Traditionally Morrocans finish a meal with fruits but have sweet pastries on hand if needed.  There are some recipes here:- http://www.food.com/recipes/moroccan-desserts

you are a genius, going to do the cinnamon orange slices and almond halfmoon cookies.... thank you.  ;D

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 15:46:16 »
Good decision.  Oranges and almonds are a classic combination in Spanish cuisine which was influenced by the Moors.  See this cake recipe which I often do as a gluten free dessert for people with intolerances -

Orange and Almond cake:-

2   large untreated or organic oranges
200g   golden caster sugar
200g   ground almonds
1 tbs   baking powder
6   eggs
½      lemon, juice only

Put the oranges in a small pan and cover with cold water.  Bring to boil and simmer for 2 hours. Leave to cool.

Preheat the oven to 200°C.   Prepare a 9”/23cm round cake tin

Cut the oranges into chunks and remove any pips then put them (skins, flesh and juice) into a food processor and blitz them along with all the other ingredients.

Pour the batter into the cake tin and cook for about 45 minutes till done.

It can be left to cool in the tin and then served cold as a cake or served warm as a dessert with some fresh raspberries and Greek style yoghurt or crème fraîche.

Obxx - Vendée France

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 16:51:09 »
can 2nd that recipe! It's a treat  :)
Caramelised oranges are also good - I use a Nigella recipe, but there are recipes to read online from the likes of the BBC.

Gadget

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 16:57:09 »
That sounds lush, definitely will that a try at some point or may go all out ;D ;D

1066 will look up the Nigella recipe as I make a lot of her cakes....mmm getting hungry now and it's only Thursday...

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 17:00:54 »
This thread reminds me that I have a jar of preserved lemons in the cupboard that a friend made and gave me, and need using! So need to get a good veggie tagine recipe together  :)

Anyway, off to Thailand (so to speak) as Masaman curry is on the menu tomight  :D

Gadget

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 17:10:37 »
This thread reminds me that I have a jar of preserved lemons in the cupboard that a friend made and gave me, and need using! So need to get a good veggie tagine recipe together  :)

Anyway, off to Thailand (so to speak) as Masaman curry is on the menu tomight  :D

Firstly soooo jealous as Masaman curry is my absolute all time favourite curry.... :P

anyway here is a link for your preserved lemons:

http://www.congocookbook.com/chicken_recipes/tagine_of_chicken_preserved_lemon_and_olives.html
enjoy  :)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 17:25:05 »
thanks fo rthe link  :)

I'm now blumin starvin!!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 20:55:44 »
Do you still need the baklava recipe?

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Gadget

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 09:46:18 »
Do you still need the baklava recipe?

XX Jeannine

Yes please if you have got it that would be great, the OH wants to make it as he feels that I have taken over the dinner and he feels left out - chef's! they can be so competative. ;D

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 16:33:42 »
Oh crumbs sorry. Meant to check yesterday whether you wanted any & what with one thing and another I never made it back to the 'puter.

Don't know whether it's too late, but anyway;

150g walnut halves
2 tblsp sesame seeds
100g ghee
600g dates.

Preheat oven to gas 4
Bake walnuts until lightly toasted then chop coarsely. Bake sesame seeds until golden. Melt the ghee in a large saucepan then cook the dates, covered on a low heat, for about 10 minutes until soft. Spread half on a lined 7inch square slice tin, using the back of a spoon dipped in cold water. Scatter the walnuts on top, pressing lightly into the dates. Spread the remaining date mixture over the walnuts. Smooth with wet fingers & press down firmly. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds & press them lightly into the date mix. When cool, cut into small diamonds. Serve at the end of a meal.

You're more dedicated than us. I've just got some crisps & cake out of the freezer for tomorrow.  ;D

Gadget

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 16:38:19 »
OMG Mrs G, that sounds amazing, can feel my sugar levels rising just reading it :) will definitely have to do another dance class next week to compensate my glutoney this weekend...Thank you and hope you have a good one, bet the cake is a good one tooo.  ;D

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 17:44:24 »
bet the cake is a good one tooo.

James Martin's carrot cake. Yum yum yum  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal