Author Topic: Basil - Dark Opal  (Read 1232 times)

antsinmipants

• Quarter Acre
Basil - Dark Opal
« on: June 08, 2011, 08:18:59 »
Is it just me or is Basil a little bit namby pamby? It seems to me that Basil,in all forms, is a little bit mard when being transplanted. Either that or I simply aint got the nack with Basil. Can anyone tell me whether or not Im being to heavy handed with this herb or is Basil a softy anyway. Thanks for your time
The night was dark....they usually are!......Laurel & Hardy

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Basil - Dark Opal
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 09:10:19 »
It's a softie and prefers to stay in a greenhouse or in a pot on the patio in full sun.  Heat and shelter.

VegBob

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 10:54:55 »
What a coincidence antsinmipants! Until this year I'd never heard of said basil but friends that I'm living with bought some seed and by ye gods, by Demeter it's finickity. I have only one sprouted seedling left and have a monk of every persuasion waiting on hand to give it the last rights. I think that, here, in Cumbria, the problem is that polar bears graze on them. Good luck. Bob.
Bob

antsinmipants

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 16:01:03 »
Cheers folks,glad to hear I'm just ignorant of its tempremental nature. Will indeed grow it on in my polytunnel as from now.
The night was dark....they usually are!......Laurel & Hardy

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 18:30:43 »
Basil hates having its leaves touched, so it's not easy to transplant, and it's not easy to water either, it doesn't even like being touched by other plants and will just up and die in protest.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 20:05:40 »
I did mine in fibre pots this year, only 2 dark opal survived  :)

davejg

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 18:54:51 »
This made me smiile, I am hopeless with basil, as usual tried sweet basil in a pot in the greenhouse same with holy basil. Slung a few remaining dark opal seeds in a pot and guess which is the only one doing well, the dark opal! never mind try again next year.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 21:00:03 »
from what I've read, and experienced Basil doesn't like being transplanted so best to grow in situ.
Must remember to sow some Holy Basil in the GHouse  :) thanks for the reminder!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 21:01:35 »
I sow it in small cells... then pot them up as plug plants... then plant them out...  :-\

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 21:03:09 »
it sounds like you have "the touch" Saddad  :-X  :D

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 21:37:37 »
I only ever grow it in pots on the windowsill, where it does fine, though never gets very large as it's always 4 or five to a small pot. I have never dared transplant it and now having read this I'm glad I didn't!

(I'm not surprised it freaks out when its leaves are touched, every time I go near it I eat lumps of it. Maybe it has a race memory  ;D)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal