Author Topic: Dying cherry tree  (Read 2244 times)

brian4951

• Not So New ...
Dying cherry tree
« on: June 10, 2011, 22:11:22 »
I have a small cherry tree in the garden (Stella) which I bought from Lidl earlier this year. It started growing well, loads of new leaves . Now the leaves have started to droop and drop off. It has been well watered. There are no signs of insect damage. Can anyone throw any light on this?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Dying cherry tree
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 14:35:31 »
How much water are you giving it? I'd give it a watering can per day in this weather.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 14:43:09 »
We bought the same and ours has lost it 's leaves also  :(
sanity is overated

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 15:09:51 »
My Summer Sun in the allotment is @3 years old and it has shed a good crop of cherries... it really is dry out there...  :-[

antsinmipants

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 21:22:44 »
My Stella has been a real let down  :(  for the past three seasons now. It always produces loads of blossom then sheds all the fruit. Its odd because my Morello cherry is right next to it and that crops year in year out!
The night was dark....they usually are!......Laurel & Hardy

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 22:14:54 »
Brian - my friend and I bought Stella cherry trees from Lidl last Autumn and they have both died - in spite of being well cared for and watered. I've never had a problem with Lidl trees before but this is the second time their cherry trees have died on us. Won't be buying any more!

Tricia

JimB

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 14:15:20 »
3 years ago bought apple, pear, plum and cherry trees from Lidl, all have been great, except the cherry, which died  the first year. ???

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 16:32:05 »
We have 3 cherry trees that were in the garden when we moved here about 16 yrs ago.  This is the first year that we have had a decent crop off 2 trees.  But the third tree seems to be on the way out.  Its shed nearly all its leaves, there was no blossom this year either.  We've checked for problems, and the only thing I can think of is lack of water.  Despite putting the hose pipe on each evening from the water buts.  This one is a little away from the other 2 so if one was going to go I would have thought it would be one of the other pair as they are so close together ???
Like you I have bought lidl trees in the past and a very knowledgeable lady at our site told me to keep them well watered and fed as she feels the root ball was very small and would take several years to make good trees.  I don't no if anyone else feels this is true.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal