Author Topic: How do I get rid of?  (Read 1877 times)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
How do I get rid of?
« on: August 11, 2011, 11:31:22 »
What can I use to kill off a plum tree stump that keeps sending out suckers all over the garden and also a buddliea davidii that is growing wild.  Unable to dig out buddleia due to root starting under neighbour's 6 ft fence on top of 2 ft concrete edging board.

mickhindle

• Not So New ...
Re: How do I get rid of?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 11:38:09 »
High Explosives!!!!!!!!!!!

Linnea

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 11:47:42 »
If you object to using chemicals then the only option is to keep cutting back and it will (eventually) give up.

best bet is any weedkiller containing glyphosate. this travels down the plant into the roots and kills them. no roots = no plant! be warned however that it will kill almost anything! if there are other plants around that you spray it on they will die too. also best to apply when weed (in this case the plum and buddleja) is actively growing. it may take repeated applications but will work

Hope this helps

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 12:29:30 »
Scrape back a bit of bark on each plum sucker and paint on a glyphosate weedkiller or something like SBK (get a pot and a brush and only use them for this).

Dunno about the buddliea, but love to find out, I've got one I could do with getting rid of..... ATM I just keep cutting it back....

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 14:17:24 »
nooooooo

cut it  downto an inch high then get 30 mm or so high speed wood drill and drill down the middle, you have to kill the heartwood.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 21:38:20 »
Thanks for your advice.  Do you think Roundup mixed with wallpaper paste would work?

vitruvius8

• Quarter Acre
  • Walled Garden, North Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 22:24:50 »
Just drill the stump and treat with "SBK" killed 5 sycamores that had been cut down but kept reshooting with it !! :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 07:46:15 »
I've killed tree stumps with drilling method with ordinary salt too..
You just have to make plenty of deep holes and be generous with salt and place plastic bag over to stop rain diluting the salt. Sometimes I've had to re-apply more salt within couple of weeks or so.
Buddlia...going against pruning advise..mid winter pruning and going really low with the cut can kill it as it is..and ensuring those cuts surfaces are kept moist during winter will rot the rest of it ;D..perharps even covering with bin liner to make things really damp...that should deal with it.. ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 21:02:35 »
I've killed the odd stump just be keeping it covered with a bin liner.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 21:21:08 »
Thanks for your replies.  Will try again after my squashes have finished climbing over them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal