Author Topic: Microsoft Outlook email link error  (Read 1857 times)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Microsoft Outlook email link error
« on: June 05, 2011, 15:23:29 »
Hi all,

Wondering if someone can give me a quick fix on a silly problem that seems to have arisen with my Outlook.  

Links in my emails no longer work as when I click on them, it's offering me the option to save instead.  Why did this happen all of a sudden?  It's really frustrating me and I've tried looking through all of the options and can't work out how to change it back! (I didn't change it in the first place, I don't know how it happened)

Any help very much appreciated, thank you :)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Microsoft Outlook email link error
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 16:42:28 »
Seems as though your PC doesnt know the default browser to use.

On Windows 7 - Control Panel - default Programs - Set Default Programs - Click on Internet Explorer - Set this program as default.
On XP - From Control Panel, open Add/Remove Programs applet, and choose Set Program Access and Defaults button. [ Alternately, click Start, Run and type control appwiz.cpl,,3 ]

Click the Custom button once. From the list that appears, select Internet Explorer and then click the OK button.

Have you recently installed some new progs by chance???

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 12:39:23 »
Hi BDN,

I don't know how I missed your reply because I'm still having the same problem!  I tried what you suggested but the links in my emails are still prompting me to save the content rather than open it in a browser.

I think my OH did re-install some stuff back yonder but I don't know what, sorry.

It's really frustrating because links for things I want to buy or to general websites (or any links at all, really!) won't work, grrrr.

Any more help will still be much appreciated! ;D

Thanks,
Sam.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 19:06:56 »
Are you using Internet Explorer?
If so try this..

Click on Tools (you may have to press the Alt key to see the menu) Then Internet Options then Programs
Depending on what version you have there should be an option to make IE default

or on the advanced tab you can click on reset advanced seetings or if all else fails you can try clicking Reset BUT this does reset everything so only as a very last resort.

One solution - though clumsy - has been suggested and that is to install another Browser (Firefox) and make that default.  See what happens - then reset IE to be the default..
There has too be an easy fix for this... bear with me. Are you on Windows 7 or XP..
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 19:22:46 by BarriedaleNick »

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 22:56:36 »
BDN  :-* Mwah!

Thank you very much!  I actually use Maxthon as my browser but I don't mind it opening up IE from links - I'm just glad to have it back! ;D ;D

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 07:16:17 »
Happy to help Sam!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal