Author Topic: Knitting, Crochet, Spindling , Spinning?  (Read 5268 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Knitting, Crochet, Spindling , Spinning?
« on: September 09, 2011, 20:53:45 »
Just out of interest...are there any A4All-ers who knit or crochet etc?
Jackie

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Re: Knitting, Crochet, Spindling , Spinning?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 20:58:01 »
used to but haven't done any since children grew up and wanted "proper" clothes.  Was thinking about learning to spin after a holiday in Scotland and saw all those sheep

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 21:09:22 »
I do/done some knitting, crocheting and spinning..and cross stiching and sewing ..if and when I have time. Not regular thing but now and then. I used to do a lot..but that was before gardening bug took over..
Now I only tend to do that sort of hobbies in winter. Other year I bought whole lot of lace making equipment..bobbins, patterns, lace 'table' etc..I fancied having a go at that.. ::)..I just couldn't walk buy a stall where somebody was selling her equipment off.. ::) Well..all that is well packed away and one of these days when the inspiration gets grip of me, I dig it all out and try something simple .. ;D..not that I'm lacey sort of girl..but one cannot help but try different skills.
Why did you ask that ?

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 21:12:35 »
I knit and crochet...can spindle a bit and am learning to spin. I was curious as many of my friends who knit are mad keen gardeners :)
Jackie

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 21:16:56 »
I love knitting, and spin the wool. Also recently bought a loom. As with Goodlife more of a winter hobby, and then I get the sewing machine out for patchwork and quilting.
I love the scandavian knitting patterns and bought a couple of books on the subject last year.
Always wanted to do lace making but definatly not got time!

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 21:22:31 »
Have you tried tatting - bought the stuff centuries ago but it was rather slow and I put it away.  Still have my little tatting shuttle somewhere

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 21:28:30 »
I've never tried that:) I am going to try Irish Lace crochet when I finish off the pullover I'm making :)
Jackie

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 21:28:56 »
How quick is drop spindle compared to spinning Hector?

I think your knitting/ gardening link is widespread- people who like to grow and make their own rather than getting everything bought ready made.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 21:42:27 »
I knit, most often Shetland Shawls in 1 ply pure wool.

I also  make 3 ply baby clothes for an organsiation that provides a new layette for Mums who don't have anything to take a new baby home from the hospital.

Then I knit teeny teeny sweaters on piano wire needles for my minature 1" bears I make, and I knit in 1 ply to dress my 6 inch Rosebud Thumbsucker dolls that I collect

I can crochet a granny square blankey but it is full of mistakes so really can't claim to be a crocheter.

Re spinning, I have a Ashford spinning whee and all the extras plus a lot of raw wool which has now crossed the Atlantic twice and still I haven't learned how to use it..one of these days.. it is on my Bucket List.

Oh eck just as I am typing news has just come on the TV that here was a 6.5 earthquake quite local to me..better go and find detaiuls

XX Jeannine

It hit on the West side of Vancouver Island about 90 miles from my son,it was 6.7, we didn't feel it but it has been felt in the city I am in. It was in quite a remote area and being on the West side of the island was better than the East which is adjacent to us so there would have been lots of trouble ..

Sorry to hi jack your thread.. but thought I better finish here.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 21:51:43 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 21:45:19 »
Started knitting last year just before I had the little un, having been taught many years ago by my mum. Literally just finished seaming up a hat for a friend's little boy's birthday next week. Not brilliant, but I can manage a hat  ;D

Crochet was attempted, but I have trouble with RSI & just can't figure out a way to hold the wool to get a decent tension without killing my hands.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 21:49:47 »
Where did you get your 1 ply wool and piano wire needles from Jeannine?  The thinnest needles I managed to get decades ago and the shop has well gone was size 14.  As for wool less than 4 ply......

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 21:52:54 »
i knit, dress make make soft furnishings also can crochet granny squares all winter pass times

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 21:57:10 »
I am just a beginner spinner BUT from seeing others I would say spinning wheel quicker. I love my spindle though, as I can carry it and a bit of fibre about in a wee bag when I am going to my my caravan....its nice and portable :)

Jeannine, I occasionally knit shawls. I am quite  slow with lace patterns but enjoy them:. I hope the earthquake news isn't concerning.

Mrs Gumboot, have you tried "Soft touch crochet hooks. I find these really help my hands?

This company is where I get my lace wool/supplies. Nice folks to deal wth
http://www.heirloom-knitting.co.uk/
Jackie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 22:02:53 »
Jamieson and Smith in the Shetland Isles, the needled I made, but you can buy lace needles much much smaller than 14.I have Skacel  1.25  ones which are fine but not small enough for the tiny swaters. Piano wire comes all sizes. I also have 6x000000 lace needles which came from The Lacemaker in Edmonds Washington, I don't know if they are still inbusiness though as I have had these a long time XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 23:14:25 »
I've got spindle too..but yet to try that... ::)..for another rainy day... ;D
Seems like there is quite few of us that do 'cottage' instrustry stuff.
One of the things I keep telling myself that I have to do one day is basket making...it just appeal soooo much to me...anything to do with wood.
My crochet work has been more of the really thin 'lacey' stuff..some 'cotton' end lace for bedding and towels.... I've done some thin 'cafe rod' curtains on window and table 'cloth' too..that took long time though.
Years ago I was debating wether to buy spinning wheel or loom..I was so tempted to have full size large loom..we had one back in school and I never had my turn with it. I was so tempted..but now I'm glad that 'common' sence prevailed I settled for a smaller option and got a spinning wheel. My so called sewing room is full as it is.. ;D  ::)
Pumpkinlover...what do you do with your loom?..what size loom have you got?

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 05:37:24 »
I love knitting and knit all sorts of things, including toys for my grandchildren.

Interesting to hear that some of you like spinning because a friend at the allotments does this and has a good website http://www.wildfibres.co.uk/
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 08:35:20 »
Used to crochet, cross stitch and paint, I have to find something else to do now, all those seed catalogues take a lot of reading  ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 08:55:35 »
I have bought the Knitpro wooden needles this year which are lovely to use and so preety.
Jeannine we would all (I am sure) love to see some of your Shetland shalws - I googled them and theylook amazing.
And the tiny teddies.
Goodlife - my loom is the Knitters loom from Ashford, I watched the Monty Don craft programme on weaving and realised  I would never manage them. So I was advised to get a fixed heddle loom, I am still on my first scarf! as not much time in growing season.
I went to the Woolfest at cockermouth this year- really enjoyed it!!! People take the rare sheep
I'll post some of my quilts if anyone interested?
I like Wildfibres website-will have a better look later, Betty.  Were they at Woolfest-seems to ring a bell?
When we were on your site someone took us to look at his plot and we were saying you could have a small sheep up there in his orchard!! 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 08:59:58 by pumpkinlover »

small

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 09:09:14 »
I love to knit,  aran is my favourite, my first grandchild has opened up lots of new projects - Alan Dart's Noahs Ark - I loved doing those picture jumpers when they were fashionable, tried spinning but just couldn't get the hang of it, I don't know how to do links but the Ravelry website is an inspiration...my ambition is to do a ring shawl but not till I've downsized the garden!

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 09:10:21 »
I knit,crochet, dressmake, cross stitch,tapestry also can do chair caning & corn dollies - just not enough time to do it all & do the garden & read all those books.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal