Author Topic: Help on growing sweetcorn...  (Read 972 times)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Help on growing sweetcorn...
« on: September 28, 2011, 23:04:07 »
Hi all... I grew up an a maize / corn growing farm in Zimbabwe... hence I love what we called "a green mealie" - i.e. a newly picked corn cob and boiled like we do here with sweetcorn. The difference being the sweetcorn is a bit smaller (half the size) much sweeter and more tender.

Now that I have a plot (I move onto from Saturday 1 Oct) I want to grow it here. I live in Cheshire so can anyone advise me on the best seed to grow and approx spacings to use.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Help on growing sweetcorn...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 00:04:12 »
You'll want an early short variety (like Swift or Lark) given how far north you are, they can be spaced at about 10" or so..... If you can spring for a big fleece cloche they'll like the protection early on and they want to be in a block not a row otherwise your pollinaiton will be erratic... also it's generally good practice to give different varieties some seperation, especially if you grow modern F1 types...

chrisc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal