Author Topic: Time to say goodbye  (Read 6096 times)

Busby

• Half Acre
Time to say goodbye
« on: October 08, 2011, 16:31:12 »
I won't have anything to say from now on. I've given notice and no longer have an allotment. 41 summers long is my total and I have enjoyed every minute. But, I'm getting on, I'm alone now that my wife has passed on and my strength is ebbing. In July I suffered a slipped disc and have taken the warning to heart. So now I'm allotmentless. But I'm still positive about things and I'm looking for a new hobby - I have no doubt that I'll find one - something simple and easy to do.

But I'm a little bit jealous of you all, gardening is a wonderful way of discovering the universe and I'll never forget what I have learned.

All the best to all of you friends of the earth.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Time to say goodbye
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 16:39:31 »
Ah, all good things come to an end eventually..BUT...it doesn't mean you should leave this board. Allotment or not...you still have knowllege share.. ;) But if you do feel like moving on...I wish you all the best and I hope your new hobby will give as much joy as the past one.. :-*

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 16:42:38 »
Ahh thats sad but you sound positive. Wow 41 years will you still go down? Be a shame if all your experience was wasted.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 16:44:07 »
Sorry to hear that you had to give up and the reasons why.  But decades of experience don't go away just because you are no longer allotmenting yourself.  Hope you will still drop by and help others with all the knowledge you have accumulated.

Best wishes  :)

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 16:48:38 »
Your years of experience makes me hope you will still be able to visit us here and advise us on all that knowledge you have built up.

Giving up something after all that time is very hard I am sure but I feel you have made a good decision but appreciate how hard it must of been.

Maybe you could write a short book about your allotment days.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 17:28:24 »
Do stay, like other folk I agree,I'm sure you will be able to contribute.
The other sections on here like the shed are nothing to do with gardening but often very entertaining.
Sorry to hear about your slipped disc ouch ! Backs are so very painful.I once posted on here about my OH whose back went while planting our spuds  :o 2 ambulances later in A&E he was sure they thought he was  a rough sleeper because he was covered in muck etc.We laugh about it now but as you know with your disc at the time it's not funny.
best wishes Busby
sanity is overated

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 18:03:35 »
<<< gardening is a wonderful way of discovering the universe >>>

What a wonderful thing to say. I sometimes feel guilty about my attachment to my allotments - maybe I should be doing something more worthwhile. But this puts it into a better perspective. It really is amazing the number and variety of different subjects one looks into when gardening.

When I retired, my husband said I would have to find something else to do that would keep me intellectually active........which made me feel like a mindless automaton.

But we are constantly thinking while gardening - thinking about living better lives less dependent on supermarkets and energy - permaculture - improved varieties - defending crops against predators - how to cook things deliciously, how to store and preserve crops - reading up on better methods - experimenting - being able to give away fruit and vegetables to friends and charity stalls - identifying and admiring slow worms and hedgehogs and even foxes and badgers - the list is more endless than this and I am sure others can add to it. Aren't we all reading, thinking, observing others' successes and failures, and learning all the time?

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 18:16:02 »
Im really sorry you are having to give up after enjoying your allotment for so many years. Have you thought about growing veg in high raised beds at home or maybe having a half plot that could have very high raised beds? Or maybe a few pots in your garden or on a window ledge?
I hope you quickly find some new hobbies that will bring you as much joy as your allotment has x jane

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 18:22:11 »
Busby please "hang on in there" as they say (or maybe they don't any more?)

What a fantastic achievement... 41 years on the plot. Brilliant.

Please don't wander off and leave us. I'm sure we'll be delighted to hear how you get on in the future and with all that experience you've so much to offer.

Here's wishing you luck in future ventures.  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 18:33:45 »
As already said Busby you have a wealth of knowledge to pass on and I'm sure there are other subjects of interest for you on here.    ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 18:36:26 »
Nothing to say Busby ???

You have so much knowledge in your head we need you on here so please stick around x

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 19:08:40 »
gardening is a wonderful way of discovering the universe and I'll never forget what I have learned.

All the best to all of you friends of the earth.

Is someone cutting onions - my eyes are watering..

Stick around - we need your 41 years of experience.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 19:11:42 »
In a nutshell what Goodlife said. Good luck in what ever you do :-*.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 19:13:02 »
The bit that bugs me most is losing your Wife.

I dread to think what may become of me if the same happens here.

= Tim

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 19:26:22 »
Hope you find something to keep you occupied.Great achievement 40 odd years growing your own. Is there no one on the allotments that will let you join with them? As everyone said you have so much  experience to offer. Wish you many long years of happiness. :) :)

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 21:13:15 »
Busby 40 odd years of commitment to your plot amazing! Your knowledge must be vast so please keep in touch with us you could help so many, and I wish you well in any new hobby's.

pumkinlover

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 21:24:22 »
Can't say any more than the others have already done.
Best wishes with whatever you decide to do.
Anne

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 23:09:51 »
Please don't leave us , Busby. Not only are your years of experience invaluable you will always find a friend here.
With very best wishes for success in whatever you decide to do.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 00:08:29 »
Busby stick around.  Not everyone here has growing space but we're all still gardeners at heart regardless.

Congratulations on your long gardening career and good luck with your next venture!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 08:38:15 »
Its sad Busby but sometimes you never know what other pleasures there are in life until we are forced into finding new hobbies. Before I had an allotment I used to grow what veg I could in containers. It gave me so much pleasure and not as 'back  breaking'. I even managed to grow sweetcorn!! No doubt one day I will have to rediscover container growing. Good luck to you and your new ventures :-*

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal