Author Topic: forcing the issue  (Read 2805 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
forcing the issue
« on: January 30, 2005, 22:33:11 »
My bubby is starting to bulb up out  of the ground and looks as though the first leaves are only a short while away.  After reading previous postings about how yummy forced pink rhubarb is, I feel it is my duty to carry this test out, so could someone please advice me of the best way to do it and when.  Also, will the crown still be okay after forcing or will I have to dig it up and throw it out?

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: forcing the issue
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 10:43:41 »
My bubby is starting to bulb up out  of the ground and looks as though the first leaves are only a short while away.  After reading previous postings about how yummy forced pink rhubarb is, I feel it is my duty to carry this test out, so could someone please advice me of the best way to do it and when.  Also, will the crown still be okay after forcing or will I have to dig it up and throw it out?

It is very simple

Cover the crown with anything that excludes the light. You can buy expensive terracotta bells or just use an old bin or large bucket.

The increased heat and lack of light brings on the new shoots and they should be ready in about 4 to 6 weeks. Place the cover over the crown as soon as you see signs of the new shoots.

Once you have havested the stalks remove the cover and leave the plant alone for the rest of the year to recover. Give it a good feed.

All should be fine next year to do the same.

Jerry
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 12:39:17 by sandersj89 »
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Plottie

• Half Acre
  • MMM , Raspberries !!!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 12:19:53 »
Ooh EJ just what I was wondering as my 2 rhubarbs are also starting to sprout.  Thanks for advice Jerry, think I'll cover one lot to force it and leave the other to develop 'au naturel'...now where's the spare bucket??
Plottie  :)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 18:12:46 »
good move Plottie,`forcing` takes it out of the crown.  Rhubarb grows so easily from root cutting that it does not take long to build up several crowns. Some forced,some taken when mature and some resting-kind of a rotation really.

Stephan

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 23:31:27 »
Super!

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 10:33:51 »
I put a plastic dustbin over my one of my rhubarb crowns once it starts shooting. I have most of  the bottom cut out of the bin .
I get some long early stalks this way .After they are harvested I just remove dustbin and leave plant to grow as normal .
I have never tried excluding all light from crown .Jim

Cheers .. Jim

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 13:01:25 »
so if i cover my rhubarb with bucket do I need to keep it covered till i eat it, or just to give it a boost ???
I will finish it, one day

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 23:01:37 »
Til the stems are long enough to pull and use I believe Larry.  The idea is by blocking out all of the light, the stems are blanched and grow light baby pink, are sweeter and more tender, and believe, they are easier on the digestion!

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 20:24:50 »

This sounds a brill idea... shall try the 'forcing' technique on one of my crowns too !

Debs

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2005, 09:06:33 »
I think you would be better to use a large upturned dustbin over your crowns, as this gives more height for growth, also more insulation, I have drilled a small hole (15mm.) in the top to make the stalks head up to the light (etiolation). The idea of having to throw away the plant after forcing comes from commercial growers who dig up the crown very early, let it sit in the field for a frost, then place in dark sheds with candles to provide minimal light for etiolation, then throw them away, but they have fields full!. Just pick the long pink stems, and leave some small ones to develop after you uncover them, give it a feed, and force another crown next year. Save a few frozen strawberries to make Rhubarb & Strawberry crumble.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2005, 12:46:04 »
Another welcome??

Which helpfully says that you don't force the same crown year on year. = Tim

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2005, 13:15:30 »
The reason crowns are disposed of commercially is due to the forcing process exhausting the rhizomes. Because light is excluded photosynthesis is not involved in production of the petioles so that all the energy comes from the roots. This leaves the rhizomes so depleted in food reserves that it requires at least two growing seasons them for them to recover. This is not economically worthwhile for a commercial grower but the issue of depleted rhizomes still does apply to a home gardener so the same rhizome cannot be forced every year.  This is the same reason that forced bulbs of tulips etc. will also not do as well subsequently.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 16:27:49 »
Novice question (sorry!!)...

Do I begin the forcing process when there are signs of shoots emerging?
or do I cover the crown before shoots emerge, and hope for the best ???

Debs

diver

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2005, 18:30:11 »
mine's got small red blobs on top ,can I put the bin over it now or wait til the leaves are through.....it sounds good so I have to try it

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 11:05:44 »
And one more thing - when do I divide the rhizome and how do I do it.  Sorry, that's two things....
Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2005, 23:22:06 »
Reminder to Emma, buy yourself a bin for the bubby!

I will be plonking the bin over one of my crowns as soon as I get a bin as the first leaf is just begining to unfurl.

As for splitting them, I would say early autumn when the ground is still warm enough for them to settle back in, but someone may well say otherwise......

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal