Author Topic: need some one to help me find out what is happening here  (Read 1983 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
need some one to help me find out what is happening here
« on: October 21, 2011, 13:57:09 »
Hello  all need some one to help me find out what is happening here !!

I have a family member who emails me   that is ok
But every time for the last few weeks now  i get a second email from him  
That he says he did not send  this is what i am getting

Every time you reply to me i am getting  another message from your address  see below i have had 4 now ??? i have just got rid of them but thought you should know not had this before from any one  !
Here is two from Hotmail  all from "neil smith" <my pall @hotmail.co.uk>

hi robin@ !!!!!!!.net you might hear this from me more than once cause my email is all screwed up beyond fixing i want to share my experience with everyone on the internet http://t.co/vs1s9M2D this program has allowed me to expand my skills give it a shot

how are things robin@ !!!!!!!.net i am no longer stressing out on how can i increase my income http://t.co/hLIBSRNO Make an investment towards succeeding in life

and want you to click on link i don't and bin it  

any idea what is happening here it has only happened from  him and he also says other people have said they have recived emails  the same ???  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

--
i don't belive death is the end

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: need some one to help me find out what is happening here
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 14:22:18 »
I'd guess he's picked up a virus. Does he have anti virus software installed? If not, then he could do a lot worse than trying AVG's free version and doing a scan. If he does, then he needs to do a full system scan.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 14:31:48 »
thanks will tell him
i don't belive death is the end

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 15:03:46 »
Yes he really does have some sort of virus or his account has been hacked - depending on what sort of mail - webmail or PC based client.  He should change passwords if it web based or run AVG free if client based..
http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition-2012/3000-2239_4-10320142.html

The links are unsafe according to my web blocker - no surprise!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 09:22:31 »
Just returning to this topic as I'm having a similar problem receiving emails from myself that I haven't sent (y'know, it hasn't reached that stage yet, that I need to fill up my own inbox... ;D) It's on a yahoo based account and I changed the password but literally hours later the same thing happened.  Changed it again last night and this morning back to the same problem!  How can I fix this? We've got Bitdefender on this computer plus two keylogger detectors so is there something else I shoud be trying/doing?  Thank you in advance :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 10:11:44 »
I had a similar thing happen on my hotmail account, I was sending messages to everyone in my contacts file. I tried changing the password, but eventually found someone had changed the settings in properties to send an 'out of office' forward with an advert attached. I put the setting back to normal, and deleted all my contacts and that solved it. I only use it as my 'junk mail' email account now when I have to put an email address for something I want to buy.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 09:41:35 »
Sam it is likely that someone is "spoofing" your email address - Spammers don't use thier own email address to send mail but instead they fake it by substututing someone's real address.  In this case yours..
This is annoying and does have consequences for the real person behind the spoofed address but it doesnt mean you have been hacked or compromised.
It is also another trick to use your own email address to send you mail as people never blacklist their own addresses.

One thing is that there is nothing you can do about it other than to write a rule to reject mail form your own address..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal