Author Topic: Raspberries  (Read 898 times)

David P

• Quarter Acre
Raspberries
« on: October 27, 2011, 23:37:14 »
Hello all

When should I cut back my raspberries and by how much?  Also my raspberries up my allotment never seem to do well and do not form full berries.... should I dig them all up and plant new ones?

Many thanks

Dave

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 01:05:33 »
Question 1 depends on the raspberries, wood that's fruited can be cut off, wood that hasn't fruited means you've got summer-fruiting raspberries adn that should be left. Autumn-fruiters fruit on same year wood ... incorrect pruning of summer fruiters is a big cause of failure in raspberries, but leaving old wood on autumn fruiters reduces the crop too... wierdly I've got summer fruiters that are making an extra flush right now....

cps12

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 07:35:35 »
Slightly off topic but I planted a dozen bare rooted canes at the beginning of the year and they all died.  i would like to try again and do half summer and the rest autumn canes.  Any suggestions for types?

CPS

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 07:52:47 »
I got a few Joan J an aytumn variety and I am very pleased with them. In fact I will be picking some more today
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 17:58:16 »
If they are not doing well and (I'm guessing) you don't know whether they are summer or autumn rasps, I would dig them up and get some new autumn ones- they are much easier to prune and although called autumn they produce fruit from August onwards. My Autumn Bliss are the most productive thing on my allotment!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal