Author Topic: Enjoying kakis  (Read 1339 times)

peanuts

• Hectare
Enjoying kakis
« on: December 02, 2011, 21:09:07 »
This week we have been enjoying eating the first really ripe kakis.  I think they may also be called persimmon fruit.  They always amaze me as to start with they are more or less invisible on the tree, being green.  Then at the point that the leaves drop, the fruit start to ripen and the tree is laden with what look just like oranges.  We had to be taught that they are best left until almost past ripe, feeling like a rather soft balloon - cut out the top, and drizzle port or brandy on, and start eating - delicious!  The only problem is that the blackbirds and starlings love them too. 
Mind you, I wouldn't want a tree of our own, just too many to eat. We just appreciate being given them!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Enjoying kakis
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 23:18:36 »
Lucky you Peanuts! I love kakis too. When I lived in Spain a neighbour had a tree and would give me the fruit by the basketful. Here I am paying 50p for one large, lovely, still unripe fruit at Lidl. They take a few days to ripen up but then - as you say - they are delicious. In other supermarkets I've seen smaller ones at 89p each, so the very large unblemished fruit from Lidl are a bargain.

Tricia

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 23:37:24 »
Been eating these for weeks now. Asda have had them in 3 in a packet for £1 and good sized one too.Lovely gubbley. Do taste extra nice when you can pick them fresh off the tree..

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 19:38:10 »
Most kakis from major grocers and supermarkets are the 'pucker - free' varieties that you can eat crispy and slightly under-ripe or a bit sweeter just as they begin to soften.

However, smaller or ethnic grocers sometimes sell the traditional kinds that are so astringent your mouth will feel like an ashtray. These are the ones that absolutely have to be really soft and/or soaked in booze (or sliced and dried).

In theory the 'sharon' types are 'pucker - free', but since they command better prices you will occasionally get a nasty surprise from an unscrupulous or careless grocer.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 22:26:05 »
My boys love sahron fruit/persimmon. good job they are 3 for £1 in the supermarkets at the minute.

May have to get extra and try the port or brandy trick. For ME not the boys!! :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal