Author Topic: Quail laying at last  (Read 1754 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Quail laying at last
« on: March 24, 2012, 19:13:45 »
My girls don't lay until there is a good 12 hours or more of daylight, and at last they have started to think about it.  At the moment, we are getting 3 eggs a day, I should imagine in the next week this will increase to 10 or so a day until we get upwards of a dozen a day.  We will start incubating as soon as we get 7 laid in a day and a couple of the excess lads will find themselves oven ready.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Re: Quail laying at last
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 08:41:20 »
How fab, what a shame they dont feel like laying in the winter though!
Its a lovely time of year.
My ladies are laying really well (bantam hens) but trying to get them to sit on some new eggs from ebay.

This time of year im usually coping with some very determined broody girls but today not one of them is interested in sittting. Might have to resort to putting the eggs in the heated propagator!!

Boys are always good for the pot especially when they fight all the time and make a big nusance of themselves.

Heres to a egg filled week for you
x sunloving

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Quail laying at last
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 18:18:55 »
Well, we are not getting a dozen eggs a day, so the incubator is on and has another 15 days before hatching.  We had a cull and enjoyed 2 of the boys and they are so delicious.  Got some dried mealworms today, a fiver for a big bag which is way cheaper than online or the garden centres, so they are enjoying a meaty treat every day mixed with their seeds.

Rumour has it in the house that we are going to get Bantams in the next month or so but we need to do some more serious fox-proofing before I agree as I can't stand the upset when he gets in and kills my gals.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal