Author Topic: Rhubarb and ginger jam  (Read 1956 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Rhubarb and ginger jam
« on: January 31, 2006, 13:39:45 »
I used 1.2 kilos of rhubarb because that's what I had. I layered it with the same weight of sugar in a bowl and squeezed the juice of 2 lemons over the lot. I left it for 24 hours.
I smashed a piece of ginger root (about an inch) with my meat tenderiser  (mmm you don't really need to know that bit ::)) put it in a muslin bag then put it and all the rhubarb stuff in my jelly pan. Boiled it for 15 mins then removed the ginger. Chopped up about 100gm of crystallised ginger and added it to the pan. I use a cooking thermometer so I just kept going until it reached the temperature for jam setting (about 5-10 minutes). Let it stand for 20 mins than poured into warmed and sterilised jam jars.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
Re: Rhubarb and ginger jam
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 00:13:45 »
On the agenda for this week Grawrc  :P

Ninny

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Rhubarb and ginger jam
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 13:41:56 »
The supermarkets sell pots of Whitworths chopped glace ginger. Once opened I add a little of the syrup from a jar of stem ginger tp prevent it from drying out. I like to add some to rhubarb crumble.

When I lived in Spain I used to make fig and ginger jam which was absolutely yummy. I had free access to figs from trees on local waste ground so not a problem costwise. Sometimes Lidl have them on offer in season at 19p each  - I buy them then - a dozen or so makes enough jam to last me quite some time.

Tricia

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal