Author Topic: Growing Basil Indoors  (Read 2190 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Growing Basil Indoors
« on: February 25, 2005, 16:02:49 »
I've tried to grow some Basil indoors and although germination is pretty quick it just seems to die on me before the first true leaves have a chance to set. What am I doing wrong? It seems like the seedlings are damping off because the stem gives way. But then I have sowed them into damp potting soil and not watered again, do they need a fairly dry soil or do they need more warmth? They are germinated in my airing cupboard where they germinate within a few days, then moved to a sunny windowsill in the house where temps are around 19C during the day and 15C at night, same windowsill where my tomatoes, peppers, chillies and aubs are thriving. I'm stumped, anyone got a dummies guide to growing basil? My other herbs are doing well but the basil just won't cooperate, I'd really like to stop spending so much money on the shop bought pots of basil, which by the way also die on me within a week or so!
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: Growing Basil Indoors
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 16:30:21 »
The thing I find with Basil is that it doesn't like that much hot sun. If your windowsill has direct midday sun, it could frazzle the little plants. I usually keep mine in bottle cloches until they outgrow them. That seems to increase the humidity and stop them from burning.

Keep them slightly underwatered.

Also they don't like much root disturbance. So be very careful or preferably sow them in cells.
gone to pot :D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 16:35:28 »
Thanks Aqui, the windowsill gets morning sun and then in the late afternoon I move them to another windowsill that gets afternoon sun (perhaps I'm pampering them too much!) Will try the bottle cloche idea, they're planted in small pots, a few seeds to each pot but they haven't got big enough yet for pricking out or thinning, they die before that stage! I might also keep them in the conservatory which gets a lot of light but no direct sunlight, it's warm during the day (about 19C) but cold at night, should I bring them into the house at night or will temps down to about 5C overnight be okay?

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 16:38:02 »
I'd bring them in somewhere warmer overnight. I have some adult basil that's doing ok on a very cold windowsill overnight, but I wouldn't subject babies to it.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 16:58:56 »
My basil seeds are in a little grow house which has six tiny individual pots inside it but it does give a bit of protection when the central heating goes off, and I expect it retains moisture a bit more.  My kitchen window doesn't get too much sun and they are growing quite strongly.  I do keep them moist.  Also I put Vermiculite on the top of the pots which might give them a bit of added protection from damping off.  You mention "potting soil"  Is this soil based potting compost? 
I came, I saw, I composted

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 17:09:10 »
Don't know, it's a multipurpose compost and I've added some perlite to the mixture to help drainage, it does have a fairly sandy/gritty feel to it. I have used vermiculite on the top, strangely the seeds with the vermiculite did not do as well as the ones without, but they all did die in the end anyway. I have yet another pot that germinated yesterday so will put a plastic bottle cloche over it and see how it fairs, I'll keep in the conservatory and bring into house overnight.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 17:14:47 »
Yes, maybe it's that it dropped too cold for it in the conservatory.  Know how they feel brrrrrrrrr  :)

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 17:44:32 »
...think I shall start some herbs off too!!

I love basil and it makes a beautifully flavoured olive oil Mmmm...

Debs ;)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 12:08:06 »
I was talking to my niece today Debs and exactly the same thing has happened with her basil.  She was keeping her sown seeds in the conservatory and none have germinated so she's brought them into the kitchen and put a clear plastic dome over them. If they don't germinate she'll have to start again.  Ah well

I love basil and was dead jealous of Monty Don's basils - all varieties - all dead healthy and growing outside.  If you leave them outside up here there's hardly anything left within  a day.  The wind just dessicates them (or whatever you call it)  I think herbs do better outside though and they smell better.  Have you grown the lettuce leafed variety?  They're just the same to grow but you get losts more leaf which has to be a good thing.

This week I have been mostly growing Italian giant leafed parsley  :)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 09:50:04 »
Jesse - I find basil never works outside very well. And I live in Greater London. The leaves always seem much tougher and more leathery from outside plants.

I grew a whole load of different varieties last year - including lettuce leaf - it was great in salads.

Did the parsley germinate this early? I was goign to save mine until later, but if it works now...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal