Author Topic: Tomato leaves curling  (Read 1307 times)

steve1967

• Half Acre
Tomato leaves curling
« on: July 06, 2012, 07:46:45 »
Hi,

Can someone tell me why the leaves on my tomato plants are curling. The plants seem fine and are growing ok. It is mainly the ones I have in the greenhouse but also a few outside. I feed the plants regularly with a organic tomato feed.

Not sure why this is happening so any advice will be much appreciated.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: Tomato leaves curling
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 09:20:27 »
Hi Steve, There is a number of reasons for a tomato o do this some good and some bad. It could be Tomato Leaf Curl (not Good) or the sign of a healthy plant.
I would sugest you search, tomato leaves curling images
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 09:20:52 »
Seen this before on my own toms. I believe it's something to do with how long the day is. Usually it's the older. larger leaves that a affected.

Tomatoes are south american plants as we know so in their natural environment they get 13-14 hours max light per day during the growing period.

Here they are getting 16-17 per day that certain varieties react to in different ways - such as curling leaves. It won't affect fruiting and when the days start getting shorter they will revert to normal.

So probably nothing to worry about too much. :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 09:28:24 »
Temperature differences can curl leaves too..this is particularly common sight in spring..very cool nights and raising temperatures during day.
If the plants look otherwise healthy...curling itself is not problem. Yes, curling makes plants look bit odd, but the leaves are still perfectly functional.

steve1967

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 09:48:38 »
Thanks for all your advice. They are all producing fruit and look fine otherwise.

Thanks again
Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal