Author Topic: tomato- extra roots  (Read 2638 times)

Han

• Quarter Acre
tomato- extra roots
« on: July 30, 2012, 09:11:02 »
I have 27 tomato plants Strillo in a greenhouse. Three of the plants are getting extra roots (or how you name it?) on their stems 20 cm above the ground. Is some one familiar with this phenomenon?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: tomato- extra roots
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 11:08:56 »
Yep..it commonly happens to tomatoes..and if you can/want to raise the soil level, you can use the advantage of these extra roots..plants with more roots have better vigour and if there is enough head room for tall growing types..they will make into huge plants cropping even more.
My tomato GH is quite tall one and I start my plants in bottomless containers that are sunk into borders..as the plants grow up I keep topping the compost level up, little by little and the plants keep rooting along. Usually I get easily 2.5-3 metre tall plants with good crops..USUALLY  ::). This is first year in ages that my tomatoes have failed me so miserable..they just won't grow and I blame the weather  >:( (they've grown, but nothing like normally)

If you don't want/need/be able to use those roots that have developed..just leave them be, you don't have to do anything to them.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:13:33 by goodlife »

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 11:11:55 »

If I have a tom' plant that has a long stem before the first (lowest) truss, I bend the stem down onto the ground before sending it up a convenient cane.

'Auxiliary' roots quite often form where the stem touches the ground.

Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 14:17:06 »
Han, what do you think of strillo? I got a trial pack from DT Brown. I am finding them to be strong plants, I put them in growpots outside and they are full of fruits. The fruits are small and acidic but nice and started ripening two weeks ago. Not a variety that I would choose to grow again though

Han

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 17:48:50 »
I am a newbie on this site and the replys are heartwarming! I am Dutch so sorry for my imperfect English.
Last year we started working on an estate taking care of the horses. In summertime they are out in the fields so more time to do some gardening (especially mowing grass :-)). There is also a large walled garden (2000 m2 with a lot of weed!) with a lot of asparagus, all kinds of berrys, plums (no so much this year!), apples. 4 greenhouses; 1 with heating. 2 of the greenhouses are in desolate state. They other 2 I use: 1 for growing and the other one for tomatos. In March (end of hunting season for the horses) I started with growing plants and vegetables. Unexperienced as I am.........a lot went wrong: planted out too soon with bad weather (North Yorkshire): the next day a lot was gone. Not aware that there were slugs :-(. They ate everything in a day (or rabbits) and bad weather (cold).

I had 4 trial packages from DT Brown tomatos Strillo (I ordered small amounts of seeds so everytime a trial package) The tomatos are now really trees. Not knowing what I was doing I let them grow and did not pick out the new leaves on time! 27 wild bush tomatoplants I have got now. They reach the top of the greenhouse so I am trying to cut of the tops (I hope they survive!). A lot of trusses but still very green and growing. 1 tomato is colouring now so I am very, very curious how this one will taste.

A lot is to be learn for me so I hope you all will help me to be an expert in time! :-)

Thank you for your replys and I am happy to be on this site with very helpfull people.

Han

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 18:18:54 »
Han, what do you think of strillo? I got a trial pack from DT Brown. I am finding them to be strong plants, I put them in growpots outside and they are full of fruits. The fruits are small and acidic but nice and started ripening two weeks ago. Not a variety that I would choose to grow again though

I thought Strillo was sweet in taste...........
Which variety do you prefer?
Han

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 08:02:24 »
Han, ah horticulture runs in Dutch genes. My mothers was Dutch and her line was traced back to 1350 and all landowners (farmers) down the line to 18th century when they tuned into horticulturists as on my family tree

Re tomato variety? well sungold and gardeners delight are nicer than strillo, I think but strillo is proving to be very robust so that is a plus when there is such a lot of blight appearing. Next year I will be growing ferline but that also depends on its taste and usefulness in cooking and have already ordered one called `old Brookes`, which is acidic and good for cooking as well as eating.  I don`t think I will bother with a cherry tomato but may try one called `latah`, which is a sprawling bush. I will only grow one trial plant in a 6 sq` raised bed. For me now, it is all about not worrying about blight, so the earlier the better for fruit and latah is super early

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 08:19:48 »
I had a very leggy tomato and was advised to plant it horizontally.    It has produced a lot of intermediate root growth and is well anchored right along its length.  Surprising it has so far resisted the blight.   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal