Author Topic: Sorrel  (Read 2472 times)

PakChoi

• Quarter Acre
Sorrel
« on: February 24, 2005, 13:16:25 »
Hello, is anyone growing Sorrel?  I have some overwintering in a cold frame and strongly suspect that it, like its's outdoor cousins, is dead.  However, for all I know it may be about to spring into life.  I can wait anyway, but am curious.  Does anyone know if they really are perennial as claimed?

I am growing the buckler shield-shaped type, and they are delicious.

Thanks all

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
Re: Sorrel
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 13:55:04 »
Hi Pak Choi,

I think you might be pleasantly surprised.  I was doing a bit of a tidy of the garden last weekend and decided that the sorrel looked pretty dead (and its really easy to grow from seed so I was just planning to plant more).  Anyway I decided to dig it up and blimey! I had to get 2 forks out as there was a massive root system growing away under the ground (think iceberg, not much above ground, masses under).  I split into 7 plants easily and have given them away to anyone who would have them and replanted a couple of clumps for myself.  You can just see that though the leaves are pretty pathetic looking there are some tiny new shoots ready to go.  The plants were outside unprotected and have been pretty heavily frosted a few times so I think your cold frame ones will revive no problems.

Isn't sorrel the most delicious salad leaf???

piglit
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

PakChoi

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 14:07:23 »
That's very encouraging, thank you.   You've now raised my expectations!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 15:31:46 »
Mine dissapears every year in the winter, and comes up again in the spring! We love it in salads too Piglit! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 15:43:34 »
My sorrel is 5 years old.  I just ignore it and it seems to thrive.  It comes up, gets very tall, goes to seed, dies back and shoots up in spring.  The leaves are very lemony and I use them in my salad and sauce.  Gary Rhodes has a good recipe in his book and I noticed Rick Stein used sorrel for sauce in last week's programme.   :)
I came, I saw, I composted

PakChoi

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 08:48:47 »
Yes, it was Rick Stein's programme (when first shown last year) that made me want to grow Sorrel, and I'm not sorry. 

Having had a peek at the outside sorrel now I see the odd glimpse of life and a couple of leaves - tiny ones - that weren't there a few weeks ago.   These are uncloched and have coped with snow.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 10:25:49 »
just out of interest, what does sorrel taste like?
(always on the look-out for new 'herbs'
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 10:40:36 »
Hello Svea  :)  Sorrel is a member of the dock family.  The leaves have a strong, lemony flavour and are good used in salads.  They can be made into sauce a la Gary Rhodes and Rick Stein recipes.  Soup is another possibility and I think these days it's being used by yoga afficianados in their blitzed veggie drinks. Apparently it used to be eaten by North American Indians for its health properties but I don't know exactly what they are.  I bought my plant from my local herb garden five years (ish) ago and it's doing very well.  I don't eat the leaves once it's gone to seed and I give it a trim if it gets to untidy.  It's got fresh leaves on it at the mo

Wardy
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 10:42:26 by wardy »

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 11:44:20 »
There is a lot on a sorrel website at http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/5149/index.html - they even have (not very funny) sorrel jokes

Phil

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 16:39:33 »
Is that one that you can use instead of spinach? I have some seeds of it, but haven't ever eaten it.
gone to pot :D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 16:59:49 »
I thought leaf beet was the one you ate instead of spinch

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2005, 21:42:20 »
Most green leaf vegetables which don't have an obvious use (and are not poisonous) seem to be labelled "a spinach substitute"

Phil

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2005, 13:24:06 »
I don't think it would make a very good spinach substitute as it is very lemony.  Bit wierd on its own cooked but lovely in a mixed salad to add a bit of interest. 

piglit

PS I think I have some spare seeds if anyone is desparate to try some, it is perennial so once you have a clump you don't need to sow anymore. 
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2005, 14:03:10 »
~raises hand

i'll send you a PM :)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal