Author Topic: cauliflower cheese  (Read 2443 times)

debbilove

• Not So New ...
    • Digginwivdebb Blog
cauliflower cheese
« on: September 09, 2012, 21:58:03 »
Harvested my first ever cauli toady and decided to make the classic cauliflower cheese for my family.  It went down a treat.

1 large cauliflower (leaves cut off), broken into pieces
    500ml milk
    4 tbsp flour
    50g butter
    100g strong cheddar , grated
    2-3 tbsp breadcrumbs , if you have them

Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, then add the cauliflower and cook for 5 mins. Drain the cauliflower, then tip into an ovenproof dish.
    Heat oven to 220C/200C/gas 7. Put the saucepan back on the heat and add the milk, flour and butter. Keep whisking fast as the butter melts and the mixture comes to the boil - the flour will disappear and the sauce will begin to thicken. Whisk for 2 mins while the sauce bubbles and becomes nice and thick. Turn off the heat, stir in most of the cheese and pour over the cauliflower. Scatter over the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs.
    Bake for 20 mins until bubbling.

www.digginwivdebb.wordpress.com

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: cauliflower cheese
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 22:00:47 »
I love cauliflower cheese and chips! 
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 01:26:59 »
I'll add a fair amount of fresh grated nutmeg to the cheese sauce and some cayenne pepper/chilli flakes to give a little heat to it.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 16:53:38 »
I also cut up some of the tender leaffy parts as well and it adds good bulk and taste to the dish.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 17:23:13 »
I love cauliflower cheese and chips! 

So do I!!!

congrats on first cauliflower! not easy summer ones!

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 18:16:39 »
Cant beat harvesting something youve grown then find a lovely warming use for it.....no joy for us this season.

Ima proper Cheeseaholic and my Fav is a Fray Bentos "We make it ,you bake it" Steak and Onion  Tinny with Cali Cheese and steamed tatters and extra think gravy......deff in my top 10 "splodge dinners".....yum  !!!!!!!!

Gazza

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 18:25:41 »
Cant beat harvesting something youve grown then find a lovely warming use for it.....no joy for us this season.

Ima proper Cheeseaholic and my Fav is a Fray Bentos "We make it ,you bake it" Steak and Onion  Tinny with Cali Cheese and steamed tatters and extra think gravy......deff in my top 10 "splodge dinners".....yum  !!!!!!!!

Gazza

Sounds good Gazza..  :blob7:
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

debbilove

• Not So New ...
    • Digginwivdebb Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 20:23:53 »
Thanks Gazza....you've given me a new idea on what to have with my cauli cheese!  May make my own pie though!  Mine would taste so much better.....!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal