Author Topic: So who's reading what???  (Read 12252 times)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
So who's reading what???
« on: January 27, 2013, 09:45:59 »
I'm reading, THE REAPERS ARE THE ANGELS BY Alden Bell.A post-apocalyptic zombie novel is not my usual cup a tea( having said that my next read will be the third in the Autumn series.) but I must say I'm enjoying this.  :read2:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:57:40 by Froglegs »

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: So who's reading what???
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 13:42:45 »
Currently - The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.  Very wry and an easy read.
Lots on the list to get through - A couple of Peter Hamilton novels and the latest Iain Banks Culture novel are top of the list.
My problem is that I keep buying cheap/free ebooks and forget to read the actual physical books I have bought..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 15:23:22 »
Just finished THE RATS James Herbert and now reading SAFE HOUSE Chris Ewan. I also have a long list all downloaded to my kindle  :icon_cheers:

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 15:58:06 »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 16:20:04 »
Currently - The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.  Very wry and an easy read.

Ditto, free for the kindle, I also got the Life of Pi for 20p

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 17:10:55 »
I'm reading "The Colour" by Rose Tremain. Not a laugh a minute, but a good read and brings back my trip to New Zealand last year.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 02:40:45 »
Reading the latest Ian Rankin "Standing in another man's grave" . I used to live in Edinburgh so I can visualise everything.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 07:41:19 »
Euthanasia by Alan Brooke and my son is the author and it's frightening  :toothy10:

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 13:38:25 »
Just finished Sue Townsend's The Woman who Went to Bed for a Year. After reading The Queen & I and Queen Camilla, I expected something equally as funny but very disappointed...didn't laugh out loud once! Was actually quite glad to reach the end.

Ditto, free for the kindle

More info, please? This is one of the next books from my list to buy. I liked the sound of it, along with Fish Change Direction in Cold Weather.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 15:52:32 »
Just finished Sue Townsend's The Woman who Went to Bed for a Year. After reading The Queen & I and Queen Camilla, I expected something equally as funny but very disappointed...didn't laugh out loud once! Was actually quite glad to reach the end.

Ditto, free for the kindle
More info, please? This is one of the next books from my list to buy. I liked the sound of it, along with Fish Change Direction in Cold Weather.

It very dry and seriously funny with some laugh out load moments.  Basically two stories - one that follows the old chap as he steals away form his old folks home and one about his life exploits meeting presidents and characters from history.  Not quite finished it yet but it is a very enjoyable easy read.  The old chap is like the ultimate stoic - not bothered by anything.  I m sure you will love it..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 19:43:53 »
Currently reading the 4th in the dark tower books by steven king as well as Fruit and Vegetables for Scotland: A Practical Guide and History

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 10:15:17 »
I've succumbed to another Spike Milligan war memoir, lol.  There are six in total and over the course of a few years, I've reached number five; Where Have All the Bullets Gone?  Next will be The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared as I never seem to be able to read more than one Spike book in a row! :happy7:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:17:59 by SamLouise »

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 00:41:01 »
Iam reading George RR Martins new book in the series of ICE and FIRE, DANCE WITH DRAGONS book five ,the book was so heavy in weight had to get it put on the kindle .

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 16:02:49 »
 I am reading TIS by Frank MC Court, a good read.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 08:26:15 »
For all the kindle users, don't be tempted with the free edition of The Long Midnight of Barney Thomson. It will cost you £8 to get the Barbershop 7  by Douglas Lindsay which are the rest of the stories in this series. I have been laughing out loud every 10 minutes as I read them.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 08:46:49 »
I'm in the middle of of Susan Howatch books. She has done few different story 'series'. The one that I'm reading is about Church of England and what they priests and other religious establishments gets up to. Just finished the Glittering images which is first one..though I've already read couple of others that are later on time line....I always have to do these wrong way round  :icon_scratch:
These books were written some years ago but all of the sudden they have feel that they are spot on with the times...with all the gossip we keep hearing in news about 'our fathers'  :angel11:  ...or is it that they've always been behaving less 'holy' way? In which case one could relate these book to any decade.
Anyway...thoroughly recommended  :icon_thumright:

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 19:22:22 »
Half way thru this months Razzle. :tongue3:
If tha does nowt, tha gets nowt. Simple!

cestrian

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 20:16:45 »
I'm reading, THE REAPERS ARE THE ANGELS BY Alden Bell.A post-apocalyptic zombie novel is not my usual cup a tea( having said that my next read will be the third in the Autumn series.) but I must say I'm enjoying this.  :read2:

If you like post-apocalyptic zombie novels then you should have a look at World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks. I loved it.

I have just finished reading "The secret footballer", a behind the scenes look at the football industry and a real eye opener if you're a fan of the beautiful game.

I have just started Christopher Brookmyres's "A big boy did it and ran away". I have read most of his novels, which are a mix of crime novel, who dunnit, thriller and laugh out loud comedy.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 20:34:21 »
The Golden One by Elizabeth Peters 'cos I like egyptian murder mysteries  :toothy10:

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 21:20:19 »
The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal