Author Topic: Koupes(Cypriot Snax)  (Read 7014 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
Koupes(Cypriot Snax)
« on: March 11, 2013, 21:46:01 »
These bloomin things were hard to pass by in the Market if fresh made as they were,and are,a Top snack with a squeeze of lemon eaten hot or cold.

Ive changed a few bits from the traditional recipe which can be found online ,but I enjoy em like this.

Ingredients

500g Bulgar Wheat( Fine grade if you get it)
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 Pint warm water
2 Eggs
Olive Oil for frying

(Filling)

500g Lamb or Pork Mince
2 Medium Onions chopped fine
2 tsps sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Dried Oregano
1 tsp Garlic Puree
2 tsps Dried Mint
1 Big Handful of Fresh Mint & Parsley chopped fine
Fresh Lemons for squeezing over

Ok,lets get this straight,the Bulgar Wheat coating can be fidly to make into the cases that hold the meat contents but if I can do it,anybody can..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Practicing  !!!!!!!!!!!  its worth it.

Put the Bulgar Wheat salt and pepper into a large mixing bowl and add the warm water mix through with a fork and cover over with a cloth and leave it aside for around 2 hours.

After 2 Hours the Bulgar Wheat should have doubled in size,if you find there is any fluid left in the bowl,drain this off.

At this point we want to see if the Bulgar Wheat is starting to stick together,so grab a handful and squeeze it into a cricket sized ball and if it holds together were well on the way.

If it falls apart to easily,just add some more fluid to the bowl and mix it in,.....we dont want it too wet to handle just sticky enough to hold together.....as with all things experience of making it will make it easier as you go along.

Place the Bulgar Wheat mixture into a mixer and add 2 eggs,now blitz it together for a couple of mins.
This will bind the mixture together.

Put the mixture into a large bowl and test out the stickyness once more,if you can form a large cigar shape and it sticks together without falling apart,were quids in.

Once this is done set it aside to cool in the fridge.

Chop the Onions fine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heat a frying pan to medium and fry off the onions till soft and golden,then remove and set aside.

Fry off the Mince meat,and drain off any fat,then add the salt,pepper,Oregano,Dried mint,and Garlic Puree and mix together.

Now add the fried onions to the mixture.

Chop a handful of Fresh Mint and Parsley and add to the pan.

Combine the above and set aside to cool.

Ok,making the cases..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Form a cigar shape around the size of a mint jar,of course theres no hard and fast rules on this,so if you prefer small or larger go for it...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive found the best way to form the case is hold the case in one hand and wet your longest finger of the other hand and slide it through the top/middle of the casing and work it around inside the case without breaking it.
Ideally,you want to create the casing around 3 to 4mm thickness as this is normally thick enough to stop them breaking up when frying.......and trial and error.

Fill the case with Mince mixture,then grab a small piece of casing mixture and form a small lid,wet the case with wet fingers and this will seal the case and should prevent breakage during frying....but...hey....ive broken plenty while learning so no big deal.

Wet sides all around with a few drops of water,Ive weighed a few and they seem to be around 180g each but as mentioned make em any size you like.

I think by tradition they are deep fried,but I just shallow fry them in the wok on 200 degrees for around 12 mins or till they are Golden Brown all over with a nice crisp outer shell.

Serve with a squeeze of Lemon

The ingredients make around 15 Koupes and are best eaten within 24 hours,but you can freeze the meat and bulgar mixture.

Enjoy  !!!!!!!!!!!!

Gazza

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
Re: Koupes(Cypriot Snax)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 22:11:21 »
They look delicious.   Better than following a cookery book recipe with your recipes - we get photos all the way through!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 22:38:33 »
Gazza you should be on tv your recipes are fab  :happy7:
sanity is overated

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 01:49:41 »
Gazza, I too want to complement you on your presentation. I have  a great many cookery books, 3 bookcases full and it isn't often I read a recipe  which I find as thorough and enjoyable as yours. I read cookery books  like folks read novels, most  are full of good  cookery information but the way you present your recipes makes the whole read exceptional.

Thank you for sharing your  talent  with us and thank you for some d**n fine recipes.

This is one that I intend to use very quickly.

Thank you again

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 05:13:37 »
Gazza, you should write a book!

They make a similar thing in Sicily but using rice instead of bulgar wheat and
coating them in breadcrumbs before frying.  There is a veggie version too with
peas and cheese.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 10:15:31 »
I have to say Betty,when time allows cooking is fun, but this recipe can be an R,s to get right, as not only do you try to get quantities right for flavour but the hands on making is akin to clay modelling as you have to have dexterity to form the case, and im the worlds worst for all things dainty,,,,ask Jude..... :tongue3:......there is a simple way to do this by making a sausage shape with the meat contents on a tray then cover it with a layer of casing then carefully scoop it off the tray and layer some more casing on the open side and fill it in by hand,still a tad fiddly.

""Tray Kibbeh"" is the cheats version really as all you do is layer the bulgar casing in a tray then layer the meat on top then layer more casing on top and oven cook,Ill try and get around to doing that version one day as the flavour is the same,just cooked differently....although it does have Pine nuts in it.

I did say to Jude about bringing some up to Brum on your open forum day,but we look after my mum and dont make future plans otherwise Id have put my name forward.

Gazza

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 12:31:30 »
I have to agree that I love your recipes.  So oftenbooks sort of rush over bits of the the technique and somehow it is much more fiddly than expected.   I am sure they will never last 24 hours. 

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 16:49:59 »
I've just come across this recipe and thank you - I've bought them from Cypriot bakers in London in the past and didn't know what they were called let alone how they are made. Superb and fully informed now :) Thank you

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 18:14:39 »
Gazza,thank you very much for ALL of your recipes,they are superb,i will be trying this one very soon,looks delicious
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal