Author Topic: cucumber being harvested now  (Read 2183 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
cucumber being harvested now
« on: May 21, 2013, 07:46:32 »
There was a recent post where somebody said that they are harvesting cucumbers from the windowsill now in the UK.  We are very interested in early salad stuff and cucumber now sounds just fabulous.

How does it work?  When and how does it get sown?  Overwintered?

TIA for any comments.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: cucumber being harvested now
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 07:53:37 »
Oooh interesting, I must have missed the post/thread. Love to hear more about it too.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 08:15:24 »
ours are growing but we seem to have a 50% success rate as often seem to loose a lot in the first stages of transplantation and something is creating holes in ours this year, think its flea beattle

small

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 08:41:21 »
I grow Long White, started in the propagator early March, grown on in the conservatory - I ate the first fruit, admittedly not very long yet, a fortnight ago. This regime gets me early cukes, but they are not the most flavourful, so this year I did some Telegraph the same.  The most advanced has a fruit about 9 inches long ....I'm hoping that will be more cucumbery than the white-skinned ones. The packet on those claims no need to peel, but I find it too chewy.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 07:38:42 »
Thank you very much for the replies.  The propagator is on anyway at that time for the first tomatoes.  Will add cuke seeds next year too.  Ok on the flavour and thick skin.  Well it has got to be better than bought ones.  Will definitely give it a go next year.  :wave:

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 00:43:29 »
I sowed 5 Wautoma cukes to a 3" pot and put on top  of my fish tank in Feb. It was my first seed save so I wanted to see if they were viable. All 5 germinated so I thinned to 1 and just put it in a big pot on the windowsill with some canes for support. Wautoma don't produce big cucumbers but they are tasty.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 14:16:57 »
Oh no - everytime I go onto this forum now someone is eating improbably early produce!
My cuke seedlings are about a centimeter high, but they are outdoors ones.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 06:52:05 »
Pigeonseed, yes, this is why I am so interested in early cucumber, because this is a bit of a lean time.  Have worked out how to do salad stuff early, would be nice to add cucumber or even tomatoes like you JayB!

Gordonmull, thank you for timing and variety suggestion. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal