Author Topic: Rather cold for courgettes etc  (Read 1817 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Rather cold for courgettes etc
« on: June 23, 2013, 11:07:04 »
Weather forecast for Mon/Tues.  Only 8C. :BangHead:  Might be colder at ground level.

That could give the delicates something to think about.

Looks like the cloches will need to go back on.

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: Rather cold for courgettes etc
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 11:49:05 »
I have 4 Cavali courgette plants in a growbag in the greenhouse and they are doing really well.  I now have two 4inch courgettes on them and a lot of very tiny ones that are just starting. 

I was going to plant my buttercup squash and defender courgettes outside today but I might be better off planting them in large pots and keeping them in the greenhouse until the cold weather has passed. 

My runner and French bean plants will be planted today but think they will be all right as it is quite sheltered where their poles are. 

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 12:36:39 »
Thanks for the warning Digs!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 12:48:28 »
My cavilli doing well too.  Just eaten the first full sized one and had two small ones about three inches long during the week.  Delicious.  Been outside under cloches since 4th May.  They came out during the day a couple of weeks ago, but since then have been covered.

Parador not far behind.  My first are normally Clarita but no seeds at the appropriate time, (hopefully next year.)

I also have a long white, which is going for the largest plant without any courgettes prize.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 13:56:04 »
I've harvested 1 Cavilli (in a pot) and two Parthenon (in the ground), so far. The Friulana Rugosa is lagging behind (also in the ground). Night time temperatures haven't been below 11C here since the beginning of the month though.

Tricia

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 22:27:46 »
We have had several very nippy nights.  Several morning I have been able to see my breathe.
Rather warmer in Devon, the sea keeps you warm.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 00:06:15 »
have tucked all ours in nicely,its seriously windy here in Liverpool....thought I was safe with my experimental out door butter nut....
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 07:34:39 »
We.have had very few nights where the minimum has got into double figures.  And when it has it has often been very windy.

Minimum last night at Brize Norton 8.7C, so in the open out in the lottie at ground level possibly only 6 or 7.   

Certainly low enough to make the courgettes sulk.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 09:02:35 »
Even with all the rain we've had recently...plants just don't want to romp away.. :BangHead: Temperatures are not warm enough for lush growth.. :BangHead:
All the containers and bedding plant borders I've done in work have hardly changed since I planted them.. :BangHead: Usually my hanging baskets would be 'full' by now but the baskets are still visible between the plants.
Oh well...can do well with everything..at least my peas, brassicas and tomatoes (in GH) are doing well this year  :icon_cheers:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal