Author Topic: autumn rasberry  (Read 4131 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
autumn rasberry
« on: September 03, 2015, 16:45:30 »
there was a thread here earlier in the year about autumn raspberry varieties took this pic today of my autumn variety zeva
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

strawberry1

• Hectare
Re: autumn rasberry
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 12:42:27 »
I have polka and they are constantly fruiting this year, producing large luscious fruits. Now the but, how many canes to leave on the original stool? I can see they will be rampant with smaller berries if I leave them as they are. Second year for me. I was well used to summer berries and the pruning etc but these are different

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 15:02:35 »
 i think its 6/8 per plant only save the strongest this should give you a good harvest rasberrys get smaller the older they get so i cahange my raspberrys every 10 years hope this helps

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 20:33:28 »
Hello All.

Whilst I've been picking some fruits - not sure of the variety, my main crop (height about 5 ft)  are only just starting to show some fruit. I'm normally picking lots of them by now. Is anyone else finding the same (I'm based in the W Midlands) and do you think I'll be able to get any for this year as it seems so late?

Regards.

Bluecar

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 17:12:41 »
Hello All.

Whilst I've been picking some fruits - not sure of the variety, my main crop (height about 5 ft)  are only just starting to show some fruit. I'm normally picking lots of them by now. Is anyone else finding the same (I'm based in the W Midlands) and do you think I'll be able to get any for this year as it seems so late?

Regards.

Bluecar
    i think you will be ok mine crop untill november

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 12:26:10 »
Fingers crossed then!

Headgardener22

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 17:59:09 »
i think its 6/8 per plant only save the strongest this should give you a good harvest rasberrys get smaller the older they get so i cahange my raspberrys every 10 years hope this helps

I don't quite understand this. I cut them all down after they've fruited, are you saying that I should cut out all but 6/8 in the spring as well? I've got 2 year old Polka and I would guess that there are 6/8 stems on each stool so I was expecting even more next year.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 19:05:31 »

I don't quite understand this. I cut them all down after they've fruited, are you saying that I should cut out all but 6/8 in the spring as well? I've got 2 year old Polka and I would guess that there are 6/8 stems on each stool so I was expecting even more next year.

Polka shpuld be pruned to ground level in February as its an autumn variety, summer ones are left with 6 to 8 long canes per plant.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 20:10:54 »
yes sorry for the confusion autumn rasberrys should be cut down after fruiting summer varietys should be retricted to 6/8 canes

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 21:15:58 »
I leave a few of the autumn ones and they fruit early in the next year, they did better than the summer ones,  they seem more tolerant of the alkaline soils,  The summer ones seem to die off after two or three years.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 23:42:10 »
Absolutely!  I'm becoming suspicious of the true difference between autumn and summer raspberries - most autumn ones can be persuaded in to a summer crop if you leave canes standing instead of pruning to the ground in winter.  And I suspect that summer rasps would crop later if you cut them down ...

Headgardener22

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 12:32:25 »
yes sorry for the confusion autumn rasberrys should be cut down after fruiting summer varietys should be retricted to 6/8 canes

Thanks for clearing that up.

Would autumn fruited ones benefit from thinning in some way? I've had so much fruit this year from the Polka that I've filled my freezer to bursting point. I don't need more than this, might it make the plants last longer if I restricted the amount of new growth next year?

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 19:15:14 »
does this help
http://www.kenmuir.co.uk/image/data/pdf/Growing%20Guides/Last%20GUIDE%20TO%20GROWING%20RASPBERRIES_.pdf

some nice information on page 2 re cane numbers and further down re fertilising

I am going to pull canes out in early may and in mid june to leave 7 per stool. My polka has been amazing this year and still is with plenty of green fruits still, I have seen people grow raspberries and the fruits get smaller and smaller because they aren`t pruned or fertilised. I am going to pick every day to the bitter end, very worth it for the long winter. My first time with autumn raspberries and in the second year but I have grown summer raspberries in the past very successfully tied to wires in a fruit cage. Autumn varieties are so much easier and I haven`t supported any or netted them

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal