Author Topic: what a taste  (Read 6054 times)

ACE

• Hectare
what a taste
« on: January 20, 2016, 16:06:34 »
I chucked all the peanuts left over from xmas  into the blender and made some peanut butter. A bit expensive as it took about four quids worth to make a jar and a half. But the taste is incredible and nice and crunchy, flung some in my prawns and noodles at lunch time and it really worked well. Be warned though even though I thinned it down with a touch of groundnut oil it certainly put the blender to the test, I doubt a small one would cope as it gets really thick. We have a vitamix which must be the most powerful on the market and the motor certainly warmed up a bit.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: what a taste
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 20:54:27 »
Hi

I love the idea of penut butter but go though fads and never finish a jar so not worth it.

Have you seen these

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Smart+Peanut+Butter+Maker/235158026,default,pd.html&_$ja=tsid:44970%7Ccid:205231075%7Cagid:10087331995%7Ctid:pla-102059946595%7Ccrid:55340028475%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:8740348318661998090%7Cdvc:c%7Cadp:1o1%7Cmt:

Cam

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 12:18:42 »
Perhaps trying a few other flavours would use the jar up... It's quite interesting mixed with mayo.

I know the Yanks eat theirs with sweet stuff, but they don't put vinegar on their chips either.

I use most of my peanut butter in pickle sandwiches - especially pickled onions, cucumber/gherkin, and of course the big daddy of them all - pickled walnuts.

Cheers.

PS. has anyone else noticed that the "Best before" date on pickled walnuts should actually be treated as "Best After" - they definitely give no pleasure while they are still crunchy - the flavour develops very slowly and is best when they are balls of black fudge.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 16:48:21 »
Hi

I love the idea of penut butter but go though fads and never finish a jar so not worth it.

Idea to use up a jar:  Peanut butter makes a great sauce.  Fry chicken pieces, probably with onion/garlic or a bit of finely sliced ginger as you like.  Then add a very heaped tablespoon of peanut butter to the pan and a mug of water and stir until the sauce is smooth.  Perhaps add a bit of chili.  I often throw in a handful of frozen cherry tomatoes when I make it at this time of year.  Could possibly flavour with soy sauce (we don't).  The sauce thickens up beautifully and creamy.  If too thick a drop of water makes it runnier again.   Works with smooth and with crunchy and goes well with rice or pasta.   :wave:   

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 16:51:05 »
Vinlander, what a combination!  I have yet to taste pickled walnuts, aged or not  :wave:

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 20:22:04 »
Vinlander, what a combination!  I have yet to taste pickled walnuts, aged or not  :wave:

If you do try them before the use by date and are disappointed just screw the lid back on and leave them until they've "expired".

I would clean any vinegar off the inside of the lid and try not to swish it about while it is "waiting" because the lid is usually the first thing to go (not that ferric acetate is any problem to your body but it doesn't look nice...).

If the curing/waiting process is an enzyme one I doubt it's that fussy about temps - so it could be a good idea to keep them in the fridge if you have space - but pickling dry-ish foods at room temp in vinegar is safe pretty much forever.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal