Author Topic: Storing Tools safely  (Read 2653 times)

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
Storing Tools safely
« on: March 27, 2005, 16:20:45 »
Not wishing to put a shed on my plot - too tempting for thieves, I was thinking of digging a hole and putting some sort of 'Garden Box' in it and anchor this down with bricks and wire to prevend anyone taking the whole box.  Then attach a suitable lock and covering it with carpet as a disguise. 
I saw a suitable garden box at 'Homebase' although not quite big enough. It's a pain having to load the car up with tools, although I agree, not a pain if I were to loose them. 

I'm curious to know if anyone else has any ideas for storing tools on the site other than a shed.
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Storing Tools safely
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 18:53:20 »
Shed, chains, lock-up box, if the scotes want them they will steal them however hard you secure them, take them home is the only answer. you are safer hiding them in the bushes.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 20:28:35 »
I introduced myself to a new plottie holder and recons he could get hold of a second hand container of the sort that go on big lorries for around £300 if we could just get 15 plot holders to chip in that's a mere £20 each for a safe and secure BIG metal shed that could easily be sectioned off into cubicles that we could padlock ourselves, I think that's a brill idea if the secretary would allow it to be put somewhere.

Trouble is it would be a bit crowded if it rained heavy :o

What ya fink? 8)

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 22:42:30 »
Especially if you have a hairdresser and a funeral parlour too!  Pity the photos from the original article aren't there :(

[edit]done it again - forgot to paste the link http://www.guardian.co.uk/southafrica/story/0,13262,1396885,00.html - sorry!  ??? [/edit]

Good luck - Gavin

Hey - and let us know how it goes!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 19:27:12 by gavin »

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 23:35:16 »
 ???

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 10:31:40 »
 ??? me too Roy!
Lily I carry all mine around in the back of my little car too, I just leave them there and have gathered 2 sets of most things now, one spade, fork etc lives in the car for the plot, one spade, fork etc lives in my garden shed! That way I am not constantly running back n forth to the car everytime I want to do something in the garden! It is a nuisance, but like you I would be so upset if it all got pinched from the plot!  (Have to say the kids do moan, cor Mum your car reeks etc! It is usually the blood fish n bone!! ;D  ;D )
My wheelbarrow on the plot gets covered with old carpet, and left over bits n bobs when I leave it, such a pain to have to cover and uncover every time you want to use it though! :(   DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 10:44:12 »
We have a container on our plot that is used as the trading hut.  It was really well secured with a huge padlock and various 'key' locks.  The buggers used some kind of generater and angle grinder to get in and cleaned us out.  Rotorvator that must have been driven away in a trailer, strimmers, the ot.  This being overloooked by numerous houses.   Did they call the police  Did they eck as like !
Get with the beat Baggy

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 14:48:12 »
It's interesting to know what other holders do to store their tools safely, I think I'll carry on loading them up in the car for now.  The other plot - on another site, that I share with a friend has a hut where we store some very old tools.  And not wishing to tempt fate has been very secure.

But I did see an article last year where a plot holder dug a large box in the ground for safe keeping of her tools.  But as previously mentioned, if someone wants to steal your tools they will get them anyhow.

Lily
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

mark_h

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 14:56:27 »
On my lottie, the tools go in to a large lockable store for the moment.

Mark

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 19:21:51 »
You don't need a generator...a cheap rechargeable drill from B & Q with a cutting disc will do the job just as well.... unfortunately

Car boot sales...some of the gardening gear is cheap enough to leave in a shed.

I have one of those bars that go right across from door jam to door jam. Our Allotment shop stocks them also the personal shed alarms for about a fiver.

www.fsbsupplies.co.uk

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 19:29:21 »
sorry lads and lasses - missed out the link.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/southafrica/story/0,13262,1396885,00.html

I am a silly prat. :(

All best - Gavin

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 19:51:51 »
Thanks for the link Gavin ;) having now seen the prices, it has made me wonder if this guy at the lottie has got his facts right ::) as in addition to the container price there will be expensive delivery charge no doubt ::)

I will not hold my breath in anticipation on this one me thinks :P

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 15:04:53 »
I just leave the cheap and cheerfull tools in the open as I don't have a shed, so far so good, in fact people have walked past them to break into sheds.

Jeremy.

RobandAlly

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 16:06:01 »

www.fsbsupplies.co.uk

Derek

Trouble with this is if they saw it and thought what have they got in there that needs that much security and just hack the sides of the shed away to get in ... think I would rather have to replace a lock and a few cheap BandQ tools than a whole shed

we are in the process of buying new shed and looking into sensible security and intend to paint it a nice forest green as soon as its erected to try and take away the look of a nice new shed ...heres hoping
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 16:07:48 by RobandAlly »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal