General > News

Hello!

<< < (3/5) > >>

Redalder:
Aminopyralid so that it what is wrong!

I got some horse manure from local Young Farmers who sell it for charity. It was delivered in bags and I spread it on as usual, but the bags must have been from more than one source. One end of the plot is doing splendidly but at the other end the potatoes hardly grew before the leaves browned and died and the broad beans are small stunted plants with no beans. One lot of runners is away while further over small and struggling.  I have broad beans and potatoes in both parts of the plot so it is not the seed that is at fault. Don't think I will take any manure next year.

Penny@Plot 33:
Hi Redalder. sorry to hear you have problems too. It is actually illegal to see on any manure that may have come from animals fed fodder that has been treated, so I would go back to YF and tell them. They absolutely need to know, as they are the so-called 'stewards' of the scheme to keep this stuff out of the compost chain. It's worth doing the bean test too, and then reporting via this website, as Dow (now Corteva) are claiming they get very few reports of issues, so they need to be told.
https://www.manurematters.co.uk/

ancellsfarmer:
Its potentially more available than previously stated because additional agrochems are marketed for a wider range of crops. Originally encountered in hay fed to horses, having been applied to pasture/hayfields to eliminate ragwort and docks,etc the Dow Corteva group also sell a product known as AstroKERB for application to oil seed rape as a herbicide. You will have seen vast fields of the bright yellow rape flowering, at harvest the straw remains and, although the maker of this stuff advise that it 'should not leave the field' (see label link*), it makes useful stock bedding and last summer there was a shortage(literally) of straw from cereals, tempting its baling and sale for that purpose.
This potentially expands our problem, for the purveyor of manure will often not have been the producer of bedding, the merchant involved has no responsibilty to protect us, we have no course of action with the merchant. He cannot know when the crop was treated, or whether correctly sprayed. His contractual liability is to supply wholesome bedding, not to be concerned as to whether we experience 'problems' in utilising a waste product, often supplied 'off the record' so to speak.
The further Safety data sheet available from the link below*, could cause us all to be concerned beyond the loss of treasured toms and beans.
https://www.corteva.co.uk/label-finder.html
Search: AstroKerb

Penny@Plot 33:
Indeed - there is a whole range of products,  for a number of different applications, every one of them has the potential to get into the compost chain. This despite Dow knowing the damage that this stuff can do.  It's even in Weedol Lawn treatment, and how many gardeners will ensure their lawn clippings do not get into green waste?

Beersmith:
Locally, sources of farmyard manure seem to come with so much debris - bricks, wire, poly rope etc - I have for some years relied heavily on stable manure.  Personally I have not encountered any Aminopyralid problems and observing that reports on this and other blogs had become increasingly rare I had assumed the problem was under control if not completely eliminated.

A couple of years back had some unusual tomato problems but after careful observation concluded it was one of the many virus conditions that tomatoes are prone to, especially as other sensitive plants were growing unaffected.

Cause for real concern if this problem is making a resurgence.  Would you be kind enough to post the results of any assay growing of beans you undertake. Many of us are watching this issue with much concern. Ta.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version