General > News

Hello!

<< < (4/5) > >>

Tee Gee:

--- Quote ---I found this forum whilst searching for info about Aminopyralid contamination.
--- End quote ---

I did think of opening another thread for this reply rather than hijack Penny's Hello title but as much has been said about the subject of Aminopyralid I thought I would take a few photos so you can see how it is devasting my crops!

I thought I would start off with a look in my greenhouse which is not a very pretty sight as I will explain later!

These plants were planted out on the 8th May which is roughly 9 weeks ago! Normally I would have expected all of the plants to have developed to around twice their current size  :crybaby2: :dontknow:

Tomatoes:

I have two plants that have developed like this one, the plants further back are in a slightly better condition. The two plants at the front are planted out in a different compost mix i.e. One with a drop of horse muck in the bottom and compost above. The other has no horse muck in it!

Peppers:

Initially, all my plants developed bi-coloured blistered leaves like the lower one on this plant so I replanted half of my plants as shown here where I used a different compost mix ( no horse muck) As you can see the colour has improved but they are still a bit blistered.

I think this is down to too much moisture!

To explain: As a result of the high temperatures last year I found that I couldn't give my plants enough water, so I added the horse muck to store moisture. Then the famous ever-changing British weather changed again this year and now I think I am retaining too much moisture! (can't win can we?) :toothy2:

The other plants  (not re-potted) are improving slightly since I gave them a dose of magnesium( Epsom Salts) as I thought they had developed a magnesium deficiency which is often seen as a yellowing of the leaves!

Cucumber

I just can't explain what is happening here, for example, the plants are still the same height they were when I planted out and yet they are bearing fruit mis-shaped though they are??? :BangHead:

French Climbing Beans-Cobra
 (see 1st pic)
The ones you see here are a 'second batch in a different compost mix! ......the first batch just did not develop  :sad7:

My new Allotment!

As I mentioned months ago when I gave up my allotments I planned on developing my herbaceous border into a more 'edible' herbaceous border this is it.

From the Back:

Back Row; Brussel Sprouts - Monkshood - Apple Tree

next row:

Gladioli in clumps of 3

next row; A long row of Beetroot and carrots planted alternately. Eventually, I hope to have a Purple and ferny green row of plants that are both decorative and edible!

next row:

Alternate  planting of Alstroemeria and Sedum spectibile

next row:

A row of lettuce with a pinch of Radish between each plant (not germinated yet)

front row

Underneath this row is a spring bulb border which I do not want to disturb so I have sunk temporary pots into the soil to act as plant pot holders. I place tender potted plants in these where later I can take them into the greenhouse in the winter without having to dig them up!

The plants you see at the front are Gazania which has followed on from my potted Strawberry plants.

The Strawberry trial didn't work as well as I wanted so it will be back to the drawing board for next year!

Elsewhere in the garden I have containerised Leeks & Onions on the go and these appear to be doing quite well!

Conclusion: At least I have a life after thirty years of allotmenteering, pity it is being fraught with this Aminopyralid issue!

Beersmith:
Ancells,

Very informative post. Most interesting. Thanks for posting.

Tee Gee:

--- Quote ---Would you be kind enough to post the results of any assay growing of beans you undertake
--- End quote ---

I would if I could but it is something I am never did simply because I never felt that I needed to

I find nowadays what with all the  so called  advancement  in growing techniques and plant growing materials and tools such tasks are becoming more common. It's getting a bit like try before you buy with some stuff as in this case. It i

It is a sad state of affairs when the chemical industry can make a product that is suitable for its initial purpose but no thought is given to what might be termed "after effects"

Compost is another product that is creating after affects; I have also found that some of the mixes we get today may be a more 'environmentally friendly' to use and produce but they often not fit for purpose and if ' aminopyralid has got into the eco friendly materials we use then god help us!

I am also finding that keeping compost at a consistent moisture content  is becoming difficult due to ( in my opinion), the bulking agent that is in them relative to peat that was in them during most of my growing career!

Generally I find that some composts can get quite sodden at one end of the spectrum and difficult to wet when dry, at the other, so I am finding watering regimes have  to be thought out a bit more, particularly with plants that need more moisture than others.

I think it is not enough now to say water once a day or every couple of days or something like that!

Here is a  personal example; the other day I took delivery of some mail order plants(shrubs) and when I removed them from the pots the rootball was just a ball of mud. I guess the packer at the suppliers had given them a good soaking without checking if the plants needed it in the first place! Based on the old adage of" more plants are killed off from over- watering rather than under-watering"  you would have thought the task of watering would be given to an experienced person but from what I have seen at nurseries and garden centres a young person is often let loose with a hose and virtually drowns them.

With all the recent changes that have been made to compost ingredients, and imported bugs and diseases I am finding that more care than ever is needed with all aspects of gardening

Could this be a reason for less younger people taking up gardening / allotmenteering?

So many times have I seen a young person come on to the plots and to give credit where credit is due they work their socks off thinking they have cracked it then they find out about some of the things I have mentioned above., and they are off!

Sad isn't it?

Well I will close with an apology for going on so much but in many ways I miss my natters  on the plots and. I just felt like one so I thought I would bend your ears. :icon_cheers:

Penny@Plot 33:
It's all very worrying, as a new plot holder, reliant at the moment for bought-in compost (but trying to make as much as my own as I can) it's something that I wasn't anticipating.  Having it in my greenhouse at home, and on the plot, it's really not an ideal start.

galina:

--- Quote from: Penny@Plot 33 on July 13, 2019, 22:13:18 ---It's all very worrying, as a new plot holder, reliant at the moment for bought-in compost (but trying to make as much as my own as I can) it's something that I wasn't anticipating.  Having it in my greenhouse at home, and on the plot, it's really not an ideal start.

--- End quote ---

No it definitely is not a good start and through no fault of your own.   There is a lady in this group who reported (from memory) that after 3 years the effects of it seemed to finally go away.  I hope she will drop by and give you her take on it. 

Seems a shame having to rely on crops that are less susceptible to aminopyralid.  Hope it breaks down by next season and, or even better, you get somewhere with the manufacturer or retailer.   :wave:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version