Author Topic: Pigeon predation  (Read 548 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Pigeon predation
« on: June 11, 2024, 13:03:22 »
For the first time ever in years of being at the site, our French Climbing Beans have been completely destroyed  by pigeons. It's not slugs, the Flying Rats have been spotted doing it. They've never bothered with beans before, just going after peas and brassica -   and it's only the French one destroyed. Runner beans are unt9uched. This has happened to every plot growing French beans.  We have 3 Feral cats on site but they're happy with rats and mice. Only one pigeon taken.

Has anyone else had this problem this season? Is it possibly because we are all netting peas and brassicas?
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Pigeon predation
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2024, 16:24:03 »
Very likley a result of netting their usual targets. 

At least they have good taste.  I'm not that keen on French beans but can't stand runners.

Have you tried flying a sparrowhawk-like effigy on a bendy pole so it moves in teh wind?  That might scare them.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2024, 21:43:27 »
Hi Obelixx, I think you're  right about the other crops being netted. We all do!  Husband is really upset. Hawks don't work. Every other plot has a fake raptor of some shape ir description. They dont work for us. We had an owl. The pigeons were wary for a couple of days. By the end of the week they were roosting next to it and the magpies were offering it food - only joking. I've enough seed to replant, hope it's not too late. I usually sow in modules and plant out. I'll try planting direct - and netting! 🤣🤣🤣
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2024, 10:21:30 »
Good luck!  And watch out for the slimesters too.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2024, 17:16:08 »
Thanks Obelixx, we go round regularly and I've used nematodes this year for the first time. No too much damage at the plot, but I forgot my home garden. All the sunflowers have been taken. I've put a few more in, but I won't see the glorious 12 foot plus specimens I've  had in past years. A good season and harvest to you and yours x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal