Author Topic: Gooseberries  (Read 1347 times)

DavidW

• Quarter Acre
Gooseberries
« on: May 11, 2005, 20:06:59 »
Could anyone tell me the correct way to grow a gooseberry bush. I have 5 on the allotment growing as bushes close to the ground, one of my allotment colleagues tells me that this is the wrong way to grow them. He tells me that they should be grown up on one stem approx 12” high and then as a bush.??

Thanks
David

raisedbedted

• Hectare
Re: Gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 20:16:37 »
Hi David

As I understand it the shape is not that important as long as it allows easy air flow because of mildew etc.  For bushes the best way is to form a goblet shape, ie open in the middle.

Noticed today that the birds have already started on the small fruits so had to net them..

Hope this helps

Adrian
Best laid plans and all that

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 21:51:07 »
Have to say, I agree with Adrian.  Have been growing them for several years, and just make sure that they don't get congested.  Keep an open shape, and prune out crossing stems.  I treat mine a bit like a shrug rose!!  :o I've had several plants from the branches that touch the ground and then root.  If it's producing good fruit yield, then you're doing something right!! Good luck.  Lottie  ;D

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 23:16:06 »
If they don't have a bare leg at the bottom (!) they tend to throw suckers.

But they are not difficult to prune out.

You can grow gooseberries as bushes,  standards,  cordons, espaliers,  any way you like.
Good gardening!

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal