Author Topic: To Sow Or Not To Sow...............  (Read 2259 times)

Nobbyman

• Half Acre
  • The Monkey's Always Right!! (Brissle Here!!)
To Sow Or Not To Sow...............
« on: May 10, 2005, 13:19:19 »
Hi all,

We have got some sweetcorn seeds as my partner loves it!!

When is the best time to plant these seeds out and I assume the Bristol area will be warm enough for this crop??

Nobbs xx  ???

wardy

• Hectare
Re: To Sow Or Not To Sow...............
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 13:28:15 »
Do you mean sow seeds or plant plants?  ;D     I'm not putting my plants out til all danger of frost is past but I'm in North Derbyshire so that'll probably be September!
I came, I saw, I composted

Nobbyman

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 13:32:39 »
erm..........sow seeds!!

Nobbs xx (Told ya I'm new to this!!)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 13:34:19 »
I sowed my second batch of seeds a week ago (only got four out of the first lot - seond lot doing much better!) I sowed them inside in a module tray. I will put them out in a week or so until bottle cloches (in London).
gone to pot :D

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 13:38:24 »
nobbyman!!!
I've had lots of questions answered re. sweetcorn, go on to the sweetcorn topic, loads of info there

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 13:41:43 »
I grew a very successful crop in Somerset last year - so Bristol should be okay.

I pregerminated my seeds before planting - I put them between two pieces of damp kitchen roll in an empty margarine container in the airing cupboard for three days.  This gave nice little shoots and roots.  Then planted into peat pots/paper pots, not too deep, and in the unheated greenhouse.  They've been there for three weeks and are doing fine.  I was planning to plant them out in another couple of weeks - possibly under cloches for a week or so, depending on how reckless I feel at the time....
Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 16:00:23 »
Mine were planted, by the kids, in empty loo roll tubes, at least a month ago, but that was rather keen, and they have been in my greenhouse, so progress has been slow and the plants are nice and stocky.  I am rather hoping to get mine out and planted in the next week or 2 before my greenhouse collapses due to over filling!  My greenhouse is officially obese!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 16:18:42 »
Hi Nobbs-drat you have found me not being `profound` or Sir S :)-you can sow sweetcorn anytime now,I prefer to sow them in mushroom punnets in the greenhouse and then plant out-but direct sowing is also OK.

Not sure what weather you have been having but around here the nights are still cold and thus so is the soil-best leave it a couple more weeks if you are sowing direct.

Stephan

Nobbyman

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 17:19:04 »
Its not is it!!

Yes frost is forcast for tonite!!

So i will direct sow in the next couple of weeks then!

Nobbs xx

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 20:06:53 »
I planted mine in paper pots just over a week ago and until yesterday they were outside in a propagator and a lunch box in two plastic bags on the shed roof.  I bought them in yesterday because of the current frost risk.  13 out of the eighteen have just germinated.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 20:24:43 »
planted mine indoors ridiculously early!  Now about 8" tall and look pretty good.  I go for the ruthless toughen em up method of cosy week in the house, few days of comfy growing rack and then its out onto the deck with them.  They have been out now for about 3 weeks (it is a covered deck and south facing) so will be planting out on lottie probably next week.

carrotcake

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 21:05:10 »
i sowed my sweetcorn seeds in my propagator from aldi, back last week or so, but they didn't come up. They appear to have rotted, that's a lesson I've learnt, I'm trying some more in my window sill now. Hope I,m not too late

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 21:16:37 »
i sowed my seeds 3 weeks ago, in my propagator. in half size loo rolls, they grew well, then read on this site about roots growing too quick in 1/2 size (shouldn't have cut them in half) so, i planted them out in place the other day, each with pop bottle cloches on, they seem to be doing ok so far, fingers crossed. No sign of frost here for at least 5/6 days according to metcheck.com so think they should be fine :)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 21:33:25 »
We have ground and air frost looming tonight so been to lotty to put me spuds to bed.  Should have earthed up but didn't.   :(
I came, I saw, I composted

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 22:22:50 »
I got my under fleece at the back end of last week - hoping this should be sufficient for a late spring frost.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2005, 10:54:45 »
I sowed one bunch all the way back on the 19th March  :o Some of these are now around 8" high, and are being hardened off outside.

I sowed another bunch on 1st May, in loo rolls, which are now germinating well in the mini-greenhouse. Sowed these much shallower, just below the surface, as I read in last months Kitchen Garden Magazine that you get better germination that way.

The bed I want them to go in to is still mud-bricks  :-\ so none of them will be going out for a while yet  ::)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Nobbyman

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 22:10:43 »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hope Im not too late to sow!!

Nobbs xx

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 09:43:23 »
Nobbyman, I still have half a packet I intend to sow, either in more loo rolls, or direct under cloches. Won't be sowing direct till the end of the month if I do it that way (in Oxfordshire)
I'd get some sown now if I were you!  ;D
My shallow sown ones had 100% germination!!!  ;D ;D ;D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal