Author Topic: too late for toms?  (Read 1780 times)

Rox

• Half Acre
too late for toms?
« on: May 11, 2005, 20:30:02 »
has anyone ever sowed toms seeds this late before and had them ripen? I'd like to sow a few more tom seeds this weekend (cherry/patio variety). I will probably keep them in my mini plastic greenhouses over the summer so they get maximum sun. I will give it a go if there's a good chance, but don't want to bother if I'll just be getting green toms - we are still going through last year's green tomato chutney despite having given loads to friends and family, and had just about enough at this stage  :-X thx for any help!!

undercarriage plan

Re: too late for toms?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 21:47:35 »
No idea!!! But I'd give it a go, nothing ventured, nothing gained!! Nothing wrong with tomato chutney....! Sorry not to be more help, perhaps someone with more experience can help.  Good luck.  Lottie  ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 09:10:22 »
Rox, I would give it a go, but as a back up nip to the local nursey and get a couple of tom plants just in case! ;)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 09:48:32 »
Worth a try... If they don't work - tom seeds keep really well, so you can always keep them for next.

(might have to try a few myself from the state of my seedlings - they are still way too small to be called plants!)
gone to pot :D

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 11:10:43 »
Yep, I would say worth a go too. Cherry ones might do slightly better than others cos they ripen a bit quicker  ??? Also might be worth pinching out the growing tips earlier rather than later (3-4 trusses), again to help get maximum ripening of fruit. The extra shelter of a mini-greenhouse would keep them going a bit longer than normal too - you might even be able to use fleece to extend a couple more weeks than that.

All just ideas, I am not an expert  :)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 11:16:09 »
I don`t reckon it`s too late at all-the weather here is about three weeks behind >:(-so maybe we will get a long summer.

Stephan

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 11:23:00 »
Rox - if you are local to West Sussex/Surrey border  I have some gardeners delight plants you can have if you can collect!

Rox

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 11:45:11 »
thanks sooooooooooooo much for the offer!  :D Sadly, I live in Brussels so, not possible...  :-[ otherwise I would have definitely taken you up on your offer!  ;) x

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 17:18:12 »
I know I've read a post somewhere on this board (but can't find it) where someone has plonked seeds direct in the ground - come the end of the frosts - and successfully got a late crop.

If I'm remembering correctly, then that means it definately ain't too late to give it a go.

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 17:23:43 »
 :) Well if you don't try you won't know. Just sow a few and keep the rest till next year. My latest ones went in last week of April.

I found a site that tells you the number of days from planting to harvest. Put in heirloom tomatoes on the search bit and hunt through the sites. Its an American one. SORRY can't remember name.

Or the seed company may tell you. I have found T&M quite helpful I rang up about potatoes I had bought from them. Guy was really chatty told him about this site!!

S?N
Supernan!!

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 17:26:32 »
i was late with mine last year the plants soon caught up and were fine. mine at the moment are also tiny but brought some from the car boot aswell as back up, I love tomatoes so im gunna have a bumper supply, (Hopefully)!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal