Author Topic: Courgettes - will old seed germinate?  (Read 2764 times)

RichardS

• Quarter Acre
  • In the wilderness of rural Twickenham....
Courgettes - will old seed germinate?
« on: April 23, 2005, 15:17:22 »
I finished off an old packet of Courgette seeds a couple of weeks ago, one per peat pot.

however, not a single one shows signs of coming through.

I'm wondering - are courgettes one of those seeds where it just isn't worth bothering with old seed?

My experience of beetroot is that its always best to use fresh seed.  The old (last plant date 2001!) Lemon Tree tomatoes that I planted at the same time have, by contrast, had a 100% germination success rate.

Shall I just stop being so tight & pop down to get a nice new packet of courgettes, or should I hold on for a while in the expectation that they will probably wake up soon?

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Courgettes - will old seed germinate?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 15:21:21 »
I would love to see a reply to this as I have some seeds I bought last year and was wondering whether to sow them!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 15:25:32 »
You could buy some fresh seed ANYWAY, if the old seed is still active, then your new seed will be good for next year, whereas if not, then you already have your fresh seed . . .

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 16:04:24 »
I'm no expert on courgettes, this year is my first of growing them, but they all germinated within a couple of days of going into my heated propagator.  Pumpkins were the same - very quick to get going.  And yes I do know I sowed them all too early. LOL  However, the point is that 2 weeks seems like a bit of a long wait to me and I wouldn't think they're going to suddenly spring into action now.
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 17:04:02 »
Richard - the only way is to look. Could well be damp rot, as much as old age.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 17:49:03 »
If it's any help, I planted fresh courgette seeds in 3" pots, I placed two in the unheated conservatory and 6 on the bedroom window sill, the latter have gone bonkers where as the two in the conservatory are just showing their little heads, so maybe you have them too cold? ???

Beryl

• Not So New ...
    • The Saunders Allotment
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 19:38:26 »
Most seeds will keep for several years if stored correctly. I would only use fresh seed for parsnips which are notorious for not germinating.
You have nothing to loose by trying old seeds first, if at first ...etc. try and try again.
Seeds sown too early have tendency to rot.

After several attempts I am still trying to get this years chili peppers to germinate - so far nothing.
Ah well.....

All the best.
Beryl.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 20:13:11 »
Courgette, squash, cucumber etc. should keep for 4 or 5 years depending on how they are stored, if they get damp or are kept at a high temp. they can go off

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 22:02:59 »
last Sunday I planted some courgette seeds that were left from last year (tried to get picture inserted but failing miserably) but take my word for it they are about 4 inches high!

I also used last years french beans, tomatoes and  peppers all with 100 % germination. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 22:06:22 by Justy »

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2005, 22:15:50 »
I keep my seeds in a Tupperware box in the fridge and seeds last for ages
I came, I saw, I composted

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 22:18:05 »
Yes, the fridge is the best place

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 07:12:20 »
I planted seeds that are 3/4 years old. about 60% have germinated. If you plant the seeds on their sides then damp rot is not such a problem. Also I soak my seeds overnight before planting. They have quite tough casings, plus you do not need to keep the pots so wet, further helping to prevent damp rot.

Carefully tip out one or two pots, no sign of life but non squishy seed put back. Place in a warmer place and wait, mine were slow so I moved them up a shelf in the greenhouse. Squishy seed chuck it and start again.

These are prolific so you dont need many, but they do make lovely chutney with green toms!!
Supernan!!

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2005, 08:45:51 »
I am using courgette seeds that I was given by a fellow from a neighbouring lottie when I was living in Northwich 9 years ago! He gave me a huge packet of 500 seeds. They germinate just as quickly as the other varieties I have bought.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 08:48:24 by ani »

RichardS

• Quarter Acre
  • In the wilderness of rural Twickenham....
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 18:10:09 »
Just a quick thanks to all for advice - sorry I didn't jump back into the thread, work pressures have been somewhat extreme in the last couple of weeks and any spare moment spent on plants and the lottie....

Anyway, the outcome.  Within 2 days of posting 2 more of the seeds decided to show through.  A week later I investigated the others and some were still dormant, others showing green.  I left them.

Took the precaution of planting 4 from a new packet of seeds, and they have all germinated in the propagator.

So, I had seven at that point.  And, last week I went up to visit my parents, and my dad gave me another 2 plants that he hadleft over, and (typically!) they're much more advanced than all of mine!

So, from a worry that I might only get one plant, I've now got 9 to go in, and that shoudl keep us overrun with courgettes this year!

spikey

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 23:11:15 »
i always start germination of courg/pumps seed between damp tissue paper in a clear bag,once seed splits and shows sign of life i pot them up.Start my cues off they same way remembering to pot them up on there edge.Hope this helps 8) :P
:P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal