Author Topic: Shield Bugs  (Read 2797 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Shield Bugs
« on: May 30, 2005, 18:16:02 »
Hi.  I was amazed to watch the antics of the shield bugs (I think) in the garden today.  Friend or foe?

G xx

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Shield Bugs
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 19:00:46 »
They're vegetarian,so they do some damage.I think it's pretty minor. I get them allover the plot and I've never noticed any harm.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 20:10:53 »
Thanks Robert.

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 20:24:33 »
I heard that the green ones are baddies as they are eating the native brown ones.  Or was that the other way round ???
Get with the beat Baggy

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 20:27:05 »
No idea, Baggy.  How's Merlin?

G xx

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 20:41:50 »
RHS = "All shield bugs are generally harmless so control measures are not required."

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 20:45:06 »
Thanks Tim.  Hate picking and squishing so that's one less job!

G xx

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 21:49:06 »
:o You wouldn't want to play around with one as they spray an odour that smells very pungent :P

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 22:11:40 »
Oh right, Roy, so they are what some peeps call stink bugs, are they?

G xx

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 22:20:28 »
;D Yep! poowee! aah! My grandson loves playing with bugs and picked one of these up and it spayed him although he didn't realize until he got in my car an stunk us all out aah! :P

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 22:23:15 »
From a quick look at my insect book I think (I'm not certain) that the one I have is the hawthorn shieldbug, which would make sense as there are thorn hedges all around.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 08:55:21 »
The jury is still out here. Initially (on GQT) Pippa G said that they were harmless. But then they changed their mind and a few weeks later said the green ones (the recent import) have become a serious pest for fruit growers in Europe and specifically wine producers as they ruin the grapes when they bite the fruit. Also, since so many of them get caught up in the harvest, they are ruining the taste of the juice as they get squashed!

However there seems to be two species:
This is what the RHS says:   (http://www.rhs.org.uk/news/climatepests.asp)
"Green vegetable bugs (Nezara viridula) attack a broad range of crops, from soft fruits to potatoes and beans, damaging fruit, transmitting disease and leaving plants open to attack by other pests. They are a particular problem in the Mediterranean, the Middle East, Australia, North America and Africa, and could be a significant pest if, as the evidence suggests, they become resident in the British Isles.
The green vegetable bug is similar to our native green shield bug (Palomena prasina) but is a paler green colour, narrower and longer, growing to between 11-15mm. Unlike the native green shield bug, adult green vegetable bugs have no brown markings and are uniformly green. Young green vegetable bugs have distinctive white-spotted backs, with red edging."

So yours are ok as they have the brown bums! And I now know which to squish and which not to, so thanks for the question!

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 09:55:17 »
It's easy enough to see the difference from the native ones, fortunately.Mine have a very obvious brown patch; I've never seen these. Has anyone?

mm-b

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 16:50:16 »
Hi
I have green shield bugs all over the currants and rasberries.
I think they look nice and there seems to be lots of fruit so I won't be worrying.
They seem to have had babies as well.
Melanie :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 18:47:33 »
How helpful, thank you so much, Moonbells.   :)

I think they are attractive too, mm-b, and now at least I can enjoy them rather than killing them.   ;D

G xx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal