Author Topic: How does a newbie make a raised bed  (Read 1034 times)

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
How does a newbie make a raised bed
« on: March 07, 2007, 08:20:52 »
Morning all, i'm andy, and i've just joined this site. So, i just got an allotment on Monday, and i'd like to make raised beds on the majority of a plot that measures roughly 10ft wide by 100 ft long, i was wondering what size  you guy's think would work best? Any help gratefully received. :)
Thas a rummun !!

agapanthus

• Hectare
Re: How does a newbie make a raised bed
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 09:28:16 »
I've got raised beds on my plot and they are mostly
12' x 4'.....it all depends on how you want to lay them out I suppose
but I would'nt go wider than 4'....this way you can
reach the middle from both sides. :)

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 09:37:31 »
Thanks for the reply agapanthus, my plot has been ploughed about 3 weeks ago, so i was going to get a rotorvator on it today to break the soil down to a more managable state, once that's done, what should i do next? :D
Thas a rummun !!

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 10:44:05 »
Get some wooden stakes and string and mark out your beds and paths.  You could also do a scale plan on some graph paper or use MS Excel.

You don't need to have wooden edges in order to quality for 'raised beds', its just a case of scooping the soil up from the path edges.

I have to confess that my raised beds DO have edges.  Also I only have 6 beds, the rest of the plot is more open which is better suited to spuds and peas etc.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 12:26:56 »
I would make some a bit wider than 4ft, say 5ft. I did mine at 4ft and find they are a bit narrow for the larger brassicas (sprouts, PSB etc)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 13:45:28 »
Pallets, floorboards, whatever you want to use and how raised you want them. Try Freecycle for getting hold of them or builders yard etc. People on my site sem to use all sorts to construct their raised beds. Some are really neat and tidy, others are just soil scooped up. Then fill with soil, compost etc.
I agree that 4' is excellent for reaching the middle without treading on soil, thats how wide mine are ( for this year, I'm new at this too) although I've just read on another thread that for your bigger brassicas 5' is better.  ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

KevTetley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 18:37:53 »
Im also new to this.  I got my plot this week.  Needs some attention to rid the grass - any advice appreciated.   Do I need rasied beds?  Do I move soil from one area to crate deeper beds?

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 18:41:59 »
Hi Andy - I have made 3 raised beds up to now 1 out of lamante floor boards 1 out of old pallets and 1 out of scafold boards I am hoping to make a 4th out of more scafold boards
but really any thing you can get free!!

I am filling mine with Mole Hill Soil it is free and there is loads about at the moment around where I live should be brill to grow my carrots in

sixe is 4foot x 8 foot

BB 8)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal