Author Topic: How to prune Jostaberry?  (Read 3658 times)

thomasb

• Half Acre
  • Allotment in Cowley, Oxford
How to prune Jostaberry?
« on: December 26, 2007, 21:03:48 »
Hi All,
I have a Jostaberry bush and would like to know the correct way to prune it. Any details is welcome.

Regards,
Thomas

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: How to prune Jostaberry?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 21:56:00 »
It does depend on how old the jostaberry is. If it's less than 3 years old, I'd leave it alone apart from removing anything dead, damaged or diseased.
I treat mine mostly like blackcurrants, which means that a third of the oldest stems are cut down to the base each year in winter. They fruit on wood that grew the previous year or year before that. If you leave the stems to get older than about 4 years, they get leggy and don't produce as much fruit.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 18:00:25 »
and the plants end up about 8' in each direction...
 ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 15:40:18 »
Chop wildly with a large axe in any direction, stamp on the remains, set light to the branches, flait at it with a chainsaw and it will still shoot in all directions and give you loads of fruit, including where the branches dropped and took root  ..............::) ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 23:19:27 »
and the plants end up about 8' in each direction...
 ;D

Only 8 ft?  ;D

Mine are as vigorous, for certain. Funny enough, there's a bush on someone else's land nearby here which isn't, keep meaning to get some cuttings to see how they do next to my existing ones.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal