Author Topic: Jamie Oliver in Marrakech  (Read 2972 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Jamie Oliver in Marrakech
« on: April 15, 2010, 00:41:02 »
I have just watched Jamie Oliver in Marrakech and really enjoyed the programme and can't wait to see the next ones in the series.  He is going to Spain next and in a future episode he is visiting Athens and the Greek Islands.  I love Greek food so will look forward to that one.

However, I have a question regarding a dish he cooked in Marrakech.  He cut up a squash, put it into the pot on top of the almost cooked beef and then finished cooking the dish.  I noticed that he didn't peel the squash so I am now wondering whether I have been doing the wrong thing by taking the skin off mine prior to cooking. 

Perhaps it was a certain type of squash that he used.  My home grown squash
are certainly difficult objects to peel so if I don't have to do it, I won't bother in future.  Does anyone know if there are some where the skin is better taken off?  I grow mostly buttercup, butternut and different varieties of the hard green winter squash.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Jamie Oliver in Marrakech
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 04:49:09 »
I don't  bother taking the skin off mine usually. If I am roasting them I do it with skin side down first then turn them, the back again.If I steam or microwave I leave it on too. I think Jamie possibly left it on if he was adding a big chunk to a partly cooked dish, it would sit on the top and cook in the steam from the food below maybe, if skinned it would break up. Actually many of the squash skins can be eaten, my rule is if it is tender eat it otherwise discard it, Sometimes if steamed I slice the soft flesh off  the tough skin on my plate as I am eating. If the squash if young it is quite edible.

It is much easier to slice the soft flesh off the big toughies after cooking it too. then mash or do whatever with it!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 07:40:25 »
I never peel the thin skinned ones like butternut but I do peel the toughies!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 07:52:18 »
If it is hard to peel leave it on. Just take it off when it is soft and cooked if you don't want to eat it. Peel does get tough on older squash like marrows.

I remember when 'peppers' first hit the corner shop in our village.

One chap came back with the one he bought in pieces complaing that he peeled it and it was hollow inside.

We Brits hate anything on the plate we can not eat simply with a knife and fork, probably because we feel we have to clear our plates but in other countries they leave in things like meat bones and fish shells, bay leaves, cloves and other flavourings, putting them aside even spitting out whist eating (very bad manners to us, like using the fingers) 

I always tell the group that the meal will be on the table in 10 minutes, tell them they may want to use their fingers, and ask if they want to go and wash their hands first.  That plants the seed of consent that if they want to use their fingers they can.  Even a bread roll is finger food after all.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 08:04:28 by PurpleHeather »

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 09:43:13 »
Thank you very much everyone for your replies. 

That settles it then, I will no longer struggle trying to cut the peel off.  Thanks.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 17:35:48 »
When I first started cooking squash I always peeled them, what a nightmare! lol

So eventually I just sliced it and slung it in the oven with skins on. The squash tastes even better, so give it a whirl, I guess its like potato wedges with the skins on :)

Oh and I loved the programme too and can not wait for the rest of the series :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 00:48:33 »
I think that recipie is on his website I loved the lamb dish can't stand lamb myself but husband ask me to cook him some lamb next month :) ideal fake BBQ food

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 06:23:01 »

I remember when 'peppers' first hit the corner shop in our village.

One chap came back with the one he bought in pieces complaing that he peeled it and it was hollow inside.

;D   ;D   ;D
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal