Author Topic: Pea plan  (Read 1434 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Pea plan
« on: November 21, 2011, 20:33:36 »
The pea picking season here I've found usually ends in early June as the plants just dry and shrivel in the heat so I need to get them started earlier next year. As I've covered most of the plot in horse manure for the winter I can't sow to overwinter them so I thought of starting them off in toilet roll holders now in an unheated greenhouse and putting them out early March, weather permitting. Can anyone see anything wrong with that plan? I know I could just try and see but I'd rather not waste the seed and compost if it's a non starter.

Cheers!
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

rugbypost

• Hectare
Re: Pea plan
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 20:46:27 »
HI,Elhuerto  I start mine about end of january I put 3 seeds to a 3inch pot it works for everyyear and i plant out end of march to mid april depends on weather O/H very happy to let me use the windowsill upstairs during the day and in the night old blanket on floor in plant sausers you dont want much heat you only want to bring them on or you will have to use sticks ;D
m j gravell

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 22:33:33 »
Depends on the type of peas.  The round podded ones are very tough cookies, I should have though you could get them out before March.    How high up are you, are things warmer in the winter than in the UK.  I find the problem of putting peas out early is that things eat them.  I am a great plastic bottle clocher.   I have just put my winter peas out, and the next lot will be sown 21 Feb and go outside about a week later when they have chitted.  Snow peas for mange tout are very cold hardy.

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 07:32:18 »
Winters are pretty similar to the UK although probably a bit shorter, the last frost last year was in March for example. I think I might go for a 50 / 50 approach, start some off in toilet roll holders and see how it goes, and then sow the rest normally in February.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 08:14:15 »
What about summers? It's definitely a cold climate crop, so that's going to be your problem. You either need to get crops in before it gets too hot - so tough varieties which overwinter might be the answer - or you need to plant them as it starts to cool down.

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 08:51:33 »
loo rolls can act as a wick and take any moisture away from the compost so if they're in a greenhouse, even over winter, you need to check that they dont dry out.

Alison

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 09:11:42 »
What about summers? It's definitely a cold climate crop, so that's going to be your problem.
Yep, that is the problem so I wanted to get them in as early as possible and give them a head start.

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 09:42:04 »
pea seeds can be planted outside as early 4-6 weeks before the last spring frost.  peas are somewhat frost hardy .
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 09:51:51 by ceres »

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 13:41:45 »
I usually start sowing mine about Jan in yard lengths of guttering in a cold greenhouse, they will grow in the cold but are not subjected to the snow/wind /frost/rain/pigeons that peas sown outside to overwinter are.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal