Author Topic: any tried trifle recipes?  (Read 6214 times)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Re: any tried trifle recipes?
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 17:05:50 »
Wonderful recipies here - I had no idea there were so many variations on the trifle theme.  Almost persuaded me to experiment.  Have been making lots of tirimisus lately which we all seem to like.  Funny no one has mentioned the dreaded jelly so how come whenever I am offered trifle in other people's houses it is always the stuff made from a packet -  obviously visiting the wrong houses!

Tim - when my children were little I always made them their own sherry free trifle but now they are big I allow them a little tipple [they are 20 - 35 :)] but no grandchildren in sight yet.  :'(

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 17:49:51 »
NO JELLY IN A TRIFLE!  :o

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2006, 18:03:32 »
The childrens trifle always has jelly, but no fruit, and the sponge has to be eggless of course, and the custard has to be birds so it is eggless, but the sponges are soaked in fresh fruit juice, then a strawb or rasp jelly is poured over.  Then a custard or blamanche is made into a thick mix and left to go cold whilst the jelly sets.  The custard/blamanche is then poured over the jelly and it is topped with either angel delight or whipped cream which has been sweetened just a touch with icing sugar.  Heavily decorated with hundreds and thousands and silver balls!  ;D

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 15:44:59 »
I developed a deep antipathy to trifle after being brought up on one made with stale sponge and loads of cheap sherry.   Yuk!   However, this one won me over but it's the only one I like.   It's best made with home made ginger cake but bought will do.

Ginger and orange trifle

360g   ginger cake
2 or 3 tins   mandarin slices, drained
8 dsp   Cointreau
4   egg yolks
60g   caster sugar
3dsp   cornflour
3-4 drop   Vanilla essence
½ litre   full fat milk
3dsp   stem ginger in syrup, drained and chopped
40cl   whipping or double cream
More stem ginger slivers or toasted almonds to garnish

Cut the cake in slices and layer in the bottom of your bowl.  Scatter over the mandarins and drizzle with the cointreau.   Make a custard with the egg yolks, sugar, cornflour, milk and vanilla essence.   Stir in the chopped ginger and leave to cool.   Pour it over the trifle base and chill.

Whisk up the cream with a little more cointreau if desired and a tsp of sugar then spread it over the custard and chill.   Garnish with stem ginger slivers or the toasted almonds as you prefer.

Obxx - Vendée France

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 15:58:10 »
Obs, that one sounds delicious so I will give it a go. I love ginger.

Another one I haven't done for ages is chocolate swiss roll on the bottom (any chocolate sponge would do I guess), pears on top followed by chocolate sauce/custard then the cream. Have you noticed a chocolate slant to this one?

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 20:50:50 »
When we have trifle i use this recipe which i have changed on occasions for tin fruit.
Trifle sponges spread with jam, spread on the bottom of a very large trifle bowl.
Half a pint of jelly poured over and allowed to set.1 packet of frozen fruits of the forest spread over.  More cool jelly poured over, allowed to set.  Lovely homemade custard. lots of whipped cream, strawberries to top, last minute. Always a winner in this house. steeped in sherry at christmas of course.
And 10 people waiting to make short work of it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal