Author Topic: Old Scaffolding Boards  (Read 3580 times)

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
Old Scaffolding Boards
« on: March 29, 2007, 20:20:48 »
Hi all,

sorry if this is wrong place for this question .... ??

I am looking for old scaffolding boards to make up beds on my Son's new Lottie ... how much should I expect to pay for e.g. a 4 metre board (+/- 13 ft)

I have no idea, but found new items on Ebay at £22 each, which is way over my/our budget

thanks
Mikey
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

knbsallotment

• Half Acre
Re: Old Scaffolding Boards
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 20:53:27 »
I think you can probably get them for free from your local builders, as long as you don't mind the old cracked ones, as they can no longer use them due to health and safety, and have to dispose of them. If you take them away you'd be doing them a favor!
Looking from the outside in...

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 23:40:54 »
I am also on the look out for scaff boards, but as our flats are being done up in june . I'm gonna offer the scaffolders a drink for some poles and boards.

If they say no my mate said he will nick me some .........joke  ;D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 23:55:38 by baggieboy »

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 10:11:25 »
Hi - Where I live in Minehead Somerset - we have a recycling place where they let you choose from all sorts of wood up to 8" - 10" long for 50p a sheet.  I think there are similar schemes all round the country.  They get the wood from the tip people so it costs them nothing.  I got a huge amount (a complete roof rafter system) for £20 delivered to the lottie!  Worth ringing your council recycling centre for info!

Good luck!

:D :P

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 16:50:22 »
Coincidently I e-mailed Rilmac the other night about scaffolding boards and I only want one or two to stand on.  I will let you know when they e-mail me back Mikey :)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 20:01:32 »
Apparently we have a place in town where we can collect so I'll be going for alook this weekend!
 ;D

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 21:06:25 »
Coincidently I e-mailed Rilmac the other night about scaffolding boards and I only want one or two to stand on.  I will let you know when they e-mail me back Mikey :)

Redclanger,
thanks for that, appreciate hearing how you get on .... I also emailed West Lindsey, East Lindsey and Lincs County Councils this afternoon asking do they have a re-cycling scheme which sells to the public.

Will let you all know if I get a response from any of them ......

PS unless you live somewhere close to Horncastle (which is circa 20 miles South East of me) I 'think' you should be South West of Mikey  ;) ;D

hope you all have a great weekend
Mikey

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 21:42:47 »
 :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ And Geography is one of my strong subjects.   :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 23:05:33 »
A couple of weeks ago I phoned around a lot of the local scaffolding companies, asking what they did with their old broken boards.
All of them said "we cut them down to smaller boards, and when they are less than 4 foot long we bin them, BUT you can buy new ones from another local place".
So I phoned this other place and asked how much. They quoted me £7.20 each for 12 foot boards. I don't think I'll bother, especially when a local fencing company supplies gravel boards at £1.40 each for 6 footers.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 14:26:31 »
They quoted me £7.20 each for 12 foot boards. I don't think I'll bother, especially when a local fencing company supplies gravel boards at £1.40 each for 6 footers.

Quizzical1,

excuse my ingnorance but what thickness x width are 'gravel boards'

thanks
Mikey

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 18:45:37 »
try to get some wherever there is scaffolding up, ive picked some up for free (if you don't count a few pkts of biscuits for their tea). i've found a few wee ones in skips too,  if that doesnt work ask the security guard at building sites at night. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal