Author Topic: Walking stick cabbage results?  (Read 2477 times)

TomaC

• Not So New ...
Walking stick cabbage results?
« on: April 06, 2007, 12:46:58 »
Hi, I was doing a websearch for walking stick cabbages & I came up with a link on a discussion you guys had this time last year (http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,57/topic,18472.0)

It sounded like a few of you were giving these cabbages/kale a go and I wondered what your results were in growing them? Do you have any pictures?!  :)

I'm a complete amature, I'm just starting to share a friends spot on his allotement, and I'm after something different to grow as a bit of fun!

REALLY interested in your results  ;D

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
Re: Walking stick cabbage results?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 13:59:49 »
Looks like a very interesting veg! I've seen it in Kings Seed catalogue I think...depending on what the results are, I might think about growing some myself!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 15:41:17 »
More up Ken Kew's street I would have thought?

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 15:52:13 »
I have got some seed but haven't done anything with them yet ....

I want to put some in my front garden and some on the lotty - mainly as a conversation piece!

Helen

Rohaise

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 19:31:25 »
I tried them ,sowing them last Autumn.   I too, grew them as a bit of a talking point , ....the truth is ...nobodys intrested !    They were blooming expensive too !   ::)    Maybe they,ll get even taller and flower this summer.....maybe someone will need a walking stick and see them and shout "Hey!.....I could really do with one of these walking sticks from an environmentaly sustainable source in Cornwall !"       :D       My question is ...has anyone actualy USED one as a walking stick ?   Perhaps the local nursing home would be interested in them , some folk use two !!        Yes ..a bit of a talking point.....anyone else got anything to say about them ?      ;D  Rohaise   ;D

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 00:12:12 »
I tried them ,sowing them last Autumn.   I too, grew them as a bit of a talking point , ....the truth is ...nobodys intrested !    They were blooming expensive too !   ::)    Maybe they,ll get even taller and flower this summer.....maybe someone will need a walking stick and see them and shout "Hey!.....I could really do with one of these walking sticks from an environmentaly sustainable source in Cornwall !"       :D       My question is ...has anyone actualy USED one as a walking stick ?   Perhaps the local nursing home would be interested in them , some folk use two !!        Yes ..a bit of a talking point.....anyone else got anything to say about them ?      ;D  Rohaise   ;D

I've just sowed some seeds for the first time. But wonder do you eat the cabbage at all ???
Or shall left it to grow taller

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 09:33:50 »
There are 4 on a lottie neighbours plot, huge things with up in the sky greenery, I wonder if I could bum one,I will try  and see about the stick thing XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 20:39:28 »
I have grown them for a couple of years. I have never made the bottom part make the crook handle shape but that was me being lazy. I did post one of to be made into a walking stick but I don`t think they were suitable.
The second year they look great when they flower.
This years were self seeded from the previous.
I will see if I have a photot that I think I took a few days ago.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 21:08:28 »

Just took these not very good photos as it was dark!

Rohaise

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 12:01:11 »
 Hi there Yuet-Lee , Yes I pick leaves as I go around the veg garden and Kale is very tasty and very GOOD for you .......and me !    :)
      I like the pictures Andy , and mine is also about to flower ,which will brighten up the garden ...I suppose .    ::)
                 I tried eating many of my vegetables raw last summerand into Autumn and was pleasantly surprised at how nice they are ...everybody should try mixing SPINACH (the real spinach that is )  with their lettuce leaves for salad for a good example . It tastes so very completly different to that strong dark green withered to thin mush stuff you usualy get after boiling it !  It tastes sweet !  AND has many health and curative properties too !     I know I,m rambling !...bye!    Rohaise   x

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 12:59:53 »
Following on from my earlier posting, the man on our lottie is not sure if his son is going to use his plants, if he is not I can have them, but he has given me seeds. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 14:47:15 »
got give some last year they got about 4' :) high sky rats had a good feed through
the netting draped over them  :'( than last week i saw they had all gone to seed so i pulled them up ::)shame i could do with a walking stick at the moment ;D
marg   2 weeks and 3 days to go
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal